Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE BERLINA trade off of VZ

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Played around with a "Omega", "Berlina" and "Calais" yesterday fell in love with the Berlina went to see my mate to get a price but thought will hang off till I read the brochure, reading thru the technicals I worked out that the Berlina is now the in between car of their basic model and Calais.
It only comes with the 4 speed Auto and same engine as the VZ and the base model, in other words the powertrain with minor refinements is the same as the VZ. As my Equipe is less than one year old I cannot see any reason to change cars, it would be ok if someone was changing from an older model but not from a VZ. If they had put a 5 speed in then that would have made a difference but the Berlina is not the higher end model it used to be.
What does anyone think about this.:cry:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
berlina's where always the gap betwwen base model to calais until the vz when the calais went to sports luxury and the berlina took its place

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah... berlina was always just a step above exec...

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
The VZ Berlina became the VE Calais....

The VZ Calais became the VE Calais V....

These are just my opinions but the VE Berlina is really just the same as a VZ Acclaim.

My advice, do what I'm doing and go for the new VE Calais.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
mattman said:
Yeah... berlina was always just a step above exec...

Wrong... It always had climate control, triple window trip computer with additional functions, velour seats (not just cloth) and share exterior styling queues with the Calais.

Read my previous post. The Berlina is now just a step up from the Omega. here's what I think...

VZ Exec = VE Omega
VZ Acclaim = VE Berlina
VZ Berlina = VE Calais
VZ Calais = VE Calais V
VZ SV6 = VE SV6
VZ SV8 = VE SS
VZ SS = VE SS V

Holden have VERY cleverly marketed the VE as being cheaper and better value for money on previous models when the models don't line up... And the media went with it.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Oh... didn't realise the VE Berlina was missing some goodies! In that case... fair call!

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Wrong... It always had climate control, triple window trip computer with additional functions, velour seats (not just cloth) and share exterior styling queues with the Calais.

Read my previous post. The Berlina is now just a step up from the Omega. here's what I think...

VZ Exec = VE Omega
VZ Acclaim = VE Berlina
VZ Berlina = VE Calais
VZ Calais = VE Calais V
VZ SV6 = VE SV6
VZ SV8 = VE SS
VZ SS = VE SS V

Holden have VERY cleverly marketed the VE as being cheaper and better value for money on previous models when the models don't line up... And the media went with it.

i dont think the vz acclaim equals the ve berlina. you just said yourself it has climate control, 6" screen, 17" rims, 3-window dash, better materials etc. i would say

VZ Exec = VE Omega
VZ Acclaim = VE Omega w/ optional safety package
VZ Berlina = VE Berlina
VZ Calais = half way between VE Calais and VE Calais V

VZ Berlina does not equal VE Calais, calais has way more - 195kw engine, 5sp auto, dual zone climate control, 6 way power front seats, sports suspension. i think they dropped the price of the berlina cause it was a rip off. it was an exec with bits of chrome and "luxury" items such as climate control and 3 window dash. add value for some people i suppose but the extra cost to holden was not proportionate to the extra RRP. but thats where most companies make their money - thick profit margins on differentiated products. VZ berlina did not even have ESP

You are right about the savings they state between the VZ SV8 and the VE SS. they are saying you save $6800 manual and $4800 auto between the VE and VZ SS -- that's because they're not the same thing, they just have the same name

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:

WRONG

go drive a vn or vp berlina

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
In more recent years at least. People looking at buying a VE up front probably have have a VX or newer already (3-5 year cycle). So compared to what they would have now, it's taking a step backwards.