Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE - Big Whoopy Do Da

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I am trying to be as objective as I can but really, after all the hype leading to the official release of the VE I feel rather let down. All I see is a car with all the "mod cons" but, one that is most likely heavier, thirstier and slower than it's previous models. Lets face it, there's some doubt (certainly in the press) as to whether the VZ is any better than the Vy - mechanically. This is particularly the case if you compare the cars as "drivers cars". Now, I drive an old noisy and unrefined VN S1 yet I see nothing that would make me fork out a huge amount of money to buy the new model when an old 2nd hand model will fare very well comparability.

The VE looks likely to cost it's owners a fortune - i.e. increased fuel costs and a huge increase in the cost to replace the rubber. So where's the real improvement when it comes to ownership?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Ahhh... "mechanically" the VE is a much better car. From handling with all new suspension setups and much better weight distribution to a much wider and longer wheelbase, ride quality and oh so much more!

You obviously havent read enough about the VE...

Safety

Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) standard on all models
Driver, front passenger and side impact airbags available on all models
Occupant protection system designed for real world driving environment
Curtain airbags available on all models - standard on SS V, Calais and Calais V; optional on Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS
Ultra-stiff body structure, multiple load path strategy, structurally optimised front and rear deformation zones
Greatly expanded use of super-strength and high-strength steels in the body

^^^Not to mention all the safety technology your VN is missing that isnt even mentioned... Such as ABS brakes etc.

And thats just safety...

As for fuel consumption... It'll be more fuel efficient than your VN despite the extra weight :p
The V6 models may not be as quick but as for the performance models such as HSV and SS models, they will be as fast as ever.
Yes its heavier, but with each major model since the VL each car has been heavier. The VN heavier than the VL, the VR heavier than the VP, the VT heavier than the VS, the VY heavier than the VT... So whats so suprising about the VE being heavier than the VZ? Did you expect anything else?

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
All Good points. I guess I should look at it from the perspective of what people want in a new a car. i.e. Safety and refinement. The VE will deliver all these. So, I was probably not being very objective at all. Sorry.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
mongoose3800 said:
I am trying to be as objective as I can but really, after all the hype leading to the official release of the VE I feel rather let down. All I see is a car with all the "mod cons" but, one that is most likely heavier, thirstier and slower than it's previous models. Lets face it, there's some doubt (certainly in the press) as to whether the VZ is any better than the Vy - mechanically. This is particularly the case if you compare the cars as "drivers cars". Now, I drive an old noisy and unrefined VN S1 yet I see nothing that would make me fork out a huge amount of money to buy the new model when an old 2nd hand model will fare very well comparability.

The VE looks likely to cost it's owners a fortune - i.e. increased fuel costs and a huge increase in the cost to replace the rubber. So where's the real improvement when it comes to ownership?

I am still mystified why people quote fuel costs as for a reason to (or not to) buy a car when depreciation is by far the largest cost of owning virtually every car.

Sheesh, my fuel bill is far higher than most (doing 60,000+ km a year) but depreciation is still the highest cost by far.

Reaper

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I hate people bitching about fuel, You buy a car for the car an you do what's necasary.... If your a car lover an love your car you wont give an F about prices of fuel or tyres...

Cheers
MaT

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
mongoose3800 said:
All Good points. I guess I should look at it from the perspective of what people want in a new a car. i.e. Safety and refinement. The VE will deliver all these. So, I was probably not being very objective at all. Sorry.
nothing to be sorry about, you were expressing an opinion and thumbs up to you for doing so

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Reaper said:
I am still mystified why people quote fuel costs as for a reason to (or not to) buy a car when depreciation is by far the largest cost of owning virtually every car.

Sheesh, my fuel bill is far higher than most (doing 60,000+ km a year) but depreciation is still the highest cost by far.

Reaper
This has got to be legit if it's on a ford forum. they have said that holden has found after handing over there first economy ratings that when they did them again recently it was better with some models, To the point where it was on par with VZ or better.
That was on a ford forum so you know they wouldn't give out info like that if it wasn't true. I'm amazed it came up:D
It's maybe because they have done some internal work on the engines fixing some errors maybe. Might be a Buick V6 to a Ecotec job?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
1991_Vn2nV said:
Ahhh... "mechanically" the VE is a much better car. From handling with all new suspension setups and much better weight distribution to a much wider and longer wheelbase, ride quality and oh so much more!

Erm, how do you know mechanically it is a better car? You have owned one for a few years to find this out hmm?

On paper it is a better car with all it's changes, on the road...well who knows.

BadMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS.
From Fnomna on LS1.

Official sticker number for fuel consumption on the V6 Omega is 11.0L/100km
Same on Berlina V6. He has posted photos of these taken from the windows of cars now building up outside the Holden plant.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
BadMac said:
From Fnomna on LS1.

Official sticker number for fuel consumption on the V6 Omega is 11.0L/100km
Same on Berlina V6. He has posted photos of these taken from the windows of cars now building up outside the Holden plant.

So in realist terms about 14.0/100. I don't think car manuafactuers should be allowed to give fuel figures based on non real world environments.