Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE - Big Whoopy Do Da

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by mongoose3800, Jul 22, 2006.

1. mongoose3800

mongoose3800 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN S1
    I am trying to be as objective as I can but really, after all the hype leading to the official release of the VE I feel rather let down. All I see is a car with all the "mod cons" but, one that is most likely heavier, thirstier and slower than it's previous models. Lets face it, there's some doubt (certainly in the press) as to whether the VZ is any better than the Vy - mechanically. This is particularly the case if you compare the cars as "drivers cars". Now, I drive an old noisy and unrefined VN S1 yet I see nothing that would make me fork out a huge amount of money to buy the new model when an old 2nd hand model will fare very well comparability.

The VE looks likely to cost it's owners a fortune - i.e. increased fuel costs and a huge increase in the cost to replace the rubber. So where's the real improvement when it comes to ownership?

2. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    Ahhh... "mechanically" the VE is a much better car. From handling with all new suspension setups and much better weight distribution to a much wider and longer wheelbase, ride quality and oh so much more!

You obviously havent read enough about the VE...

Safety

Electronic Stability Program (ESPĀ®) standard on all models
    Driver, front passenger and side impact airbags available on all models
    Occupant protection system designed for real world driving environment
    Curtain airbags available on all models - standard on SS V, Calais and Calais V; optional on Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS
    Ultra-stiff body structure, multiple load path strategy, structurally optimised front and rear deformation zones
    Greatly expanded use of super-strength and high-strength steels in the body

^^^Not to mention all the safety technology your VN is missing that isnt even mentioned... Such as ABS brakes etc.

And thats just safety...

As for fuel consumption... It'll be more fuel efficient than your VN despite the extra weight :p
    The V6 models may not be as quick but as for the performance models such as HSV and SS models, they will be as fast as ever.
    Yes its heavier, but with each major model since the VL each car has been heavier. The VN heavier than the VL, the VR heavier than the VP, the VT heavier than the VS, the VY heavier than the VT... So whats so suprising about the VE being heavier than the VZ? Did you expect anything else?

3. mongoose3800

mongoose3800 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN S1
    All Good points. I guess I should look at it from the perspective of what people want in a new a car. i.e. Safety and refinement. The VE will deliver all these. So, I was probably not being very objective at all. Sorry.

4. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    I am still mystified why people quote fuel costs as for a reason to (or not to) buy a car when depreciation is by far the largest cost of owning virtually every car.

Sheesh, my fuel bill is far higher than most (doing 60,000+ km a year) but depreciation is still the highest cost by far.

Reaper

5. yZoH

yZoH //There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...

Members Ride:
    (0.o')
    I hate people bitching about fuel, You buy a car for the car an you do what's necasary.... If your a car lover an love your car you wont give an F about prices of fuel or tyres...

Cheers
    MaT

6. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    nothing to be sorry about, you were expressing an opinion and thumbs up to you for doing so

7. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    This has got to be legit if it's on a ford forum. they have said that holden has found after handing over there first economy ratings that when they did them again recently it was better with some models, To the point where it was on par with VZ or better.
    That was on a ford forum so you know they wouldn't give out info like that if it wasn't true. I'm amazed it came up:D
    It's maybe because they have done some internal work on the engines fixing some errors maybe. Might be a Buick V6 to a Ecotec job?

8. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Erm, how do you know mechanically it is a better car? You have owned one for a few years to find this out hmm?

On paper it is a better car with all it's changes, on the road...well who knows.

9. BadMac

BadMac New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS.
    From Fnomna on LS1.

Official sticker number for fuel consumption on the V6 Omega is 11.0L/100km
    Same on Berlina V6. He has posted photos of these taken from the windows of cars now building up outside the Holden plant.

10. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    So in realist terms about 14.0/100. I don't think car manuafactuers should be allowed to give fuel figures based on non real world environments.

11. BadMac

BadMac New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS.
    Doesn't really matter, the old Berlina was 11.1/100k's so the new one given Holdens testing method is very slightly better, in spite of any other changes (ie more weight, etc).

12. drewins

drewins swear word

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore wagon
    Correct. Exactly the same as the old model so everyone should stop assuming it is heavier and thirstier.

13. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Haha, sorry - not doubting any of the figures quoted. Just having a bit of a rant about peoples (lack of) decision making skills overall.

Look at it - the average car does roughly 20,000km a year and at 13l/100 (rough estimate for real world economy figure) would cost around $3,400 per year in fuel ($65 per week). If the car does 10% better fuel economy you save a huge $6.50 per week. Compare that to the average $35,000 car that will cost around $9,000 each year for the first few years in depreciation alone! If we all are buying a car for purely financial reasons, it would be hard to go past the Holden Barina, Hyundai Getz or similar. To move from a large sedan to a mid size that quite often costs more and has similar (or worse) depreciation is mad!

(end of rant!) :yeah:

Reaper

14. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    This was the first test done, They Holden want there new figures to be used now. Which is more favourable.
    My sisters Proton has a figure on the window of 7.7/100. When in-fact we my brother and i have been able to get it under 7/100.
    Well for the first 12 months i have had my VP Commodore it ran 26l/100km. I drove it over 9000km. Last month i finally fixed my fuel issues and now return 14.5l/100km. Fuel really doesn't bother me when it's now the best economy i have had in a car. To top it off it does as good as a BA Falcon which I'm pretty happy about.
    4 things stop me from buying a smaller better fuel economy car.
    1: To small
    2: Ugly
    3: No balls
    4: I'll blow the engine in 12 months. Or my mum will:D

Saving money on fuel is great but there are other ways to try and save some back in our everyday lives.
    I'm just not a fan of smaller cars smaller engines etc. But i understand what your saying. I just think smaller can limit what you do. Such as when i go to the footy i carry 5 people and there crap they take. Weight of all 5 of us ruffley...427kg. Ad that weight to my car and it's amazing i can still burn rubber i wouldn't fit these people in a smaller car.
    But someone on there own it might be the best thing?.

15. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    And the fuel economy has now been released at 10.9L per 100km for the Omega and the Berlina :yeah:

1 less thing for those pessimists to complain about...

16. drewins

drewins swear word

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore wagon
    Isnt it 11? I saw that written on the window of one.

17. vztrt

vztrt New Member

Members Ride:
    VXII Exec
    Falcons run at 10.9 for the 4sp Auto, at least the sticker says it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  18. Dave398

Dave398 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
    Yeah but in the real world its worse than that. I know a few people with BA's any their jealous of the economy I get in my ecotec (even though I drive her like shes a V8). :whistling

19. vztrt

vztrt New Member

Members Ride:
    VXII Exec

I edit, it's actually 10.9 4sp and 10.2 for the 6sp.
    Well just like mentioned above thats what the sticker says. You cant claim sticker fuel figures for one car and real world figures for another. Also fuel economy depends on how you drive the car.

The BA was 300kg heavier than the AU which would be the ecotec competitor. Also the BA I6 shits on the ecotec for power and torque.

20. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Its 11.0 on the SV6... 10.9 for the Omega and Berlina 4 speed auto's...