Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE - Big Whoopy Do Da

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
1991_Vn2nV said:
And the fuel economy has now been released at 10.9L per 100km for the Omega and the Berlina :yeah:

1 less thing for those pessimists to complain about...
You just know that they will find something else to moan about:D

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
That's the SV6 Manual... The SV6 auto is 11.3 :D
Holden did it again and got better numbers so the first thing they did was try and get the new numbers seen:D

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Anyone care to notice that the official fuel figures were obtained running on 95RON PULP? Also, the official power figures are obtained on 98RON fuel. In the real world the majority of people just don't run on premium all the time. I wonder what the economy is like on Regular unleaded? Worse, no doubt. It would seem if you want fuel economy you're going to have to fork out extra for it. In the end, these new big cars (not just commodores but falcons, Toyota’s and so on) are really not getting figures any better than cars from 15-20 years ago - yet they have supposedly made huge leaps in engine technology. Sure power, smoothness and safety has improved but that's it. My old VN with over 250,000 still returns fuel economy of 11-12l per 100km and that's with an old pushrod cast iron engine! The worst I have recorded in the last 2 years is 13.4l/100k. I'm the sort of driver that likes to put my foot down as well so they are not bad figures at all. Driven carefully I can actually get under 11l/100 around town. Me personally, safety features set aside, I'll stick with my old bomb in the knowledge that it is more economical to run. i.e. I'd hate to be paying off any of the new thirsty large cars if petrol prices increase much further. Think about it - at $1.50 a litre it could cost you $105 to travel 500km at realistic 14l/100k. Pretty expensive. If fuel goes up to $1.80 then your looking at $125. An older or smaller car running at say 11l (a real figure) is costing you nearly $20 less to travel 500km at $1.50 per litre. I know I travel a good 300-400km per week. And, just that small couple of litres less per 100km makes a significant saving. Not only is this new commodore the most expensive to make - It will be the most expensive to own. Not a good result in today's climate. I would not be surprised to see Holden install the smaller versions of the Alloytech in the future if sales are not good.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Mongoose3800 I think you're in the minority here. The is FAR FAR more to be lost in depreciation that fuel economy. $20 a tank more is nothing for someone who loves their car, and has it for more than just getting from A to B.

Also, fuel efficiency has far more to do with how the car is driven, what's carried in the car rather than the type of fuel use. Independent studies have, for years, PROVEN that the benefits from higher octane fuels don't even come close to the extra money paid at the pump. The marginal efficiency increase doesn't outweigh the extra cost of the fuel to start with and perfromance figures are just as marginal.

I will buy a new VE Commodore because I'm an enthusiast. I will run it on 91 RON regular ULP and I will drive it well most of the time with some fun thrown in occasionall. If you pay $95 a tank and I pay $125 and the difference is a VE over a VN, I'm sorry but I know what I would prefer.

I accept the petrol prices, I accept the depreciation all because they aren't factors in me buying a car. If they were, I would be buying a Prius or something!

stockvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
`96 VS S2 Esteem 97 Vt Acclaim s1
Fuel Costs

Why does everyone bitch about the cost of fuel?? Whats a litre of beer worth?
Whats a litre of scotch worth? Whats a litre of burbon worth? Whats a litre of water worth?
You wouldnt complian about pulling up at a servo, and buying a bottle of water, 750 mls, for $2.30, but bitch about the price of fuel. Fuel is the cheapest liquid around. You need it, you buy it. But you dont need the water at $2.30 a bottle. Whats wrong with using a tap for a drink

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Understood. We are both looking at it from different sides of the fence. And, in all honesty, if I could afford a new car and wasn't concerned about fuel costs I would probably consider buying a new large car. But, I think the largest chunk of buyers may be looking at the total cost of ownership. The evidence of this is in the fact that Toyota now top the sales charts.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
stockvk said:
Whats a litre of scotch worth? Whats a litre of burbon worth? Whats a litre of water worth?
You wouldnt complian about pulling up at a servo, and buying a bottle of water, 750 mls, for $2.30, but bitch about the price of fuel. Fuel is the cheapest liquid around. You need it, you buy it. But you dont need the water at $2.30 a bottle. Whats wrong with using a tap for a drink

Thank goodness my car doesn't run on water!:yeah:

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
stockvk said:

LOL. It's all about quantity and consumption. You don't consume or buy the same amount of water as a you do for a car. If you did you'd start complaining pretty fast. Think about how much your water at home costs you over the year for 10's of thousands of litres! If you must buy packaged water you can buy it in bulk and considerably cheaper. i.e. you can buy 10/15 litres for around $5. So water actually is the cheapest liquid.

The real point is that fuel is becoming a more expensive and precious resource. The time will come when it becomes just too expensive to keep consuming it at huge rates. And, when it does become too expensive those who can't afford to fill their tanks will look for alternatives (i.e. more fuel efficient cars). Already Petrol theft is on the rise and some "enthusiasts" with old 1970 V8's can no longer afford to drive their cars to meets. Then there's the ever looming interest rate rise that is due at anytime. This will hit people big time. What will happen then - A glut of newish large cars on the market for a song because people will need to feed more cash into their mortgages and rents. This in turn will come with an increase in food costs and so on. I could go on but I think you should get my point.