Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE - Big Whoopy Do Da

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
LeBoofer said:
Speaking of which, I found the new 4 cyclinder Camry's (in auto guise) fuel consumption figures = 9.9L/100km - compare with the VE = 10.9L/100km (see GoAuto.com.au). I think that is marginal. Thoughts?
yep, it may be a 4cyl, but look at the figures (yes they are typical car manufacturer figures that are always less than what they really are) but atleast we can use these as a guide to comment. now, if fuel usage was my priority, and i was after a family sedan, i would choose the VE over the camry. obviously over say 10 years you will have saved a fair bit, but i'd much rather drive a V6 commodore than a buzzbox 4cyl
:):):)

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Do you really? I mean think about it... How much safer are cars these days? How much more comfortable are they? How much better is the quality of all their components? Better stereos? Better features? Better to drive? Better all round?

Think before you open your mouth! You want Holden to just be building new VN Commodores? Or do I detect some resentment that you can't afford the new VE? How about the whole world just moves the f*ck on!!! Petrol prices are higher than they were last month, last year, 10 years ago!!! And for the tiny amount of difference it makes in the grand scheme of things, SHUT THE F*CK UP ABOUT IT ALREADY!!! Be proud in the knowledge that Holden have just set a new benchmark for Australian design and build quality... The VE is by far the best car to be built in Australia from the ground up and it is a shame there are so many shallow people in the world that think fuel prices are the be all and end all (including the media)!

Don't criticise the car if you can't afford the fuel for it. Doesn't make it any less of a car in any way. Would you rather we all just drive around in 380's? Perhaps Toyota Prius'? Or maybe even those rediculous SMART cars?

I earn a mediocre $580 (ish) per week after tax and super etc. I pay $175 a week rent (sharing a $350 a week place), pay telephone, internet, gas, electricity, mobile, insurance, expenses on my own property that I rent out and here I am more determined than ever to get myself into a new VE Commodore as soon as they are available to the public. Granted I get it for a whole lot cheaper than RRP however we're talking fuel costs here... I DON'T CARE. I want a quality Australian built car that will keep myself, my family and my friends safe and above all provide the most satisfying driving experience every time I get behind the wheel. So I pay $120 a week in fuel instead of $80. Big deal!!! I'm a hell of a lot happier for it.

/end rant

You're just a little bit aggressive don't you think? Did you perhaps think that it is only normal for someone to compare and criticise a new model based on good experiences from an older model. It would be fare to expect a new model to meet and exceed the demands of today’s environment? Probably not in your eyes as I sense you are one of those die hards who could not see a fault in any Holden product if it came up and bit you. As a Holden fan and car enthusiast I find it almost laughable how people like you would probably bag out a BA Falcon for weight and thirst for fuel - yet when Holden do almost the same thing it's all O.K. And, you actually believe all the propaganda about a completely new car. Good on you. I remember Holden bragging about the paint quality used on VN’s – we all know that was BS.

Just because someone has a different view doesn't give you the right to make degrading comments. For the record, I don't drive a VN because that is all I can afford – I actually own 2 family vehicles and choose to drive a VN because it fulfils the function I need. i.e. a reliable car that gets me from A-B. It's easy to service myself and I don't care if my kids spill a drink in it. If I really wanted to I could buy a VE (and upgrade my 2nd vehicle) as soon as it hit the showrooms. I guess this is one of the benefits of been on a relatively good IT wage and being over 10 years into a mortgage. Yet, I will probably choose not to buy/lease a VE for all the reasons I have detailed previously. Therefore, my comments are perfectly valid - so don't tell me or anyone to "SHUT THE F*CK UP ABOUT IT ALREADY!!!" It’s just plain rude and childish. I would rather be driving an old bomb (I know it is one) and owning my house rather than sharing rent on a house and paying off any new car. But, you go out and buy one, enjoy it, enjoy any recalls it may have, enjoy worrying about any little scratch, enjoy the repayments on it, enjoy the fuel costs, enjoy the need to replace tyres sooner because of the extra weight, enjoy riding that special bus when you have it serviced, and enjoy being stuck in rental property while you pay off a depreciating lump of steel. See what you have to show for your self after owning the car for a few years. Actually, if I read your previous post's right you'll salary sacrifice it - Sure it may save you tax - although I don't know how because I doubt you're in the right tax bracket to really benefit. But, I think salary sacrifice is all wasted money as you end up with nothing in the end. Hang on, don't you get a special price as well. You're one special person. All I know is that in 10 years time when people like you have paid out a small fortune for owning the latest and greatest, someone like me will come along and buy it off you at far less than what you paid for it with a big grin on their face knowing all the real pros and cons of the car. If the car is a dud no one will want to buy them 2nd hand.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
what a post!

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
far man, that post has kind of put me off buying a decent first car!

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
mongoose3800, you make some good points, but some pretty average ones too. There's just as much risk in buying a house as there is in a new car. What would happen to your morgage rates if interest went through the roof, which it could do very easily with all the instability in the world atm, or in 10 years time. Maybe you could still afford the mortage, but there'd be a lot of people who couldn't, and the market would be flooded with people trying to sell, which would dramatically bring down prices. Sure, you've paid $500,000 for the house you own, but now you can only sell it for $300,000. You come across like my boss's wife. She says cars don't make you happy. Bull. Cars don't make her happy. I love cars, and having the privelage of owning a brand new VE would be sweet. I'd rather own one brand new than one that's 16 years old. I too drive a VN, but unlike you by the sounds of it, I take care of it. Mine's in great condition. It's pretty much standard too. I do care if someone spills a drink in it. I do care about every scratch on it. I'd rather be like this than drive around in something shameful. By the way, city driving I'm lucky to get 12L/100km, which really isn't that far off the new V8's these days, and worse than the far more powerful V6's. You don't buy a V8 to bitch about fuel consuption, or tyre wear for that matter. That's just hypocritical. You buy it to put a huge grin on your face. As for no one wanting a dud car, you're right. That's why you look after them in the first place, and use the 5 year warranty to fix anything that might happen to break.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Thanks for making my argument for me Evman.

Mate I share a rental place because it only costs me $110 a week and I live with some pretty good mates, all into cars, all into motorsports, one of them competes in the NSW State Championship (Formula Vee) and we're all part of the team. Does your mortgage cost $110 a week? Thought not...

My mortgage costs me $300 a week (average 3br dbl garage brick house in Canberra) and I am into my 9th year of it. My tennents pay it off for me and I get to use the equity to buy another house (most likely before Christmas). Meanwhile I get to spend my income on things that really do put a huge grin on my face... like a new car!

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Please note - I mean no offence to anyone. I just had a shocker of a cards night - down $80. Anyway, my Canberran Mortgage costs me less that $800 a month. My VN is actually in very good nick - Very original. In fact I am rather embarrassed by the majority of VN's I see on the roads. For a stock standard model mine is damn fine indeed with no oil leaks or saggy roof. If you guy's want to buy a new VE then good luck to you - Seriously. But, don’t' be offended by people like me who don't see the sense or value in it. Once, you have a little more responsibility and several mouths to feed you too may see things like I do. Until then all you'll see is a car and the road. I was once like that too. But I grew up!.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
mongoose3800 said:
Please note - I mean no offence to anyone. I just had a shocker of a cards night - down $80. Anyway, my Canberran Mortgage costs me less that $800 a month. My VN is actually in very good nick - Very original. In fact I am rather embarrassed by the majority of VN's I see on the roads. For a stock standard model mine is damn fine indeed with no oil leaks or saggy roof. If you guy's want to buy a new VE then good luck to you - Seriously. But, don’t' be offended by people like me who don't see the sense or value in it. Once, you have a little more responsibility and several mouths to feed you too may see things like I do. Until then all you'll see is a car and the road. I was once like that too. But I grew up!.

mongoose, guess you might have 1 up on the VE Omega, at leats the VN might have airconditioning.

I can't beleive the omega WONT have aircon as standard. Nice backwards step holden.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
minux said:
mongoose, guess you might have 1 up on the VE Omega, at leats the VN might have airconditioning.

I can't beleive the omega WONT have aircon as standard. Nice backwards step holden.

Holden has never had A/C as standard, it's always been an option on the povo packs. Mind you you will never see a VE without A/C.

Mongoose I guess you can look at a new car as a losing money but when I bought my new car it was because I wanted something where I didn't require to fix things every month or two (this car was a Camry). I wanted a vehicle where if I turned the key it would start, and a used car IMO is a bigger risk.
Also the car takes me to work which makes me money, it also makes me happy as I have the car that I want and it keeps me happy and confortable.
Also it's fun when you see the neighbours jelous that you have a new car:yeah:

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
minux said:

aircon has always been standard on commos, i'd imagine there'd be a lot of head scratching and a long delivery delay if anyone ever ordered it without aircon.

it's a cheap trick to make the car look cheaper than it really is.