Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE boot

L

LeBoofer

The space savers are rated at a top speed of 80km/h for 250km I think, dont quote me (unless its right ;))

I dont think it saves room either cos there is the option for a full size tyre, thus the boot must be able to house both without compromising on space. I think the boot must have increased in size by both the new design hinges and new design of the car. Also apparently I heard somewhere (sorry no I cant remember the reference) that the actual boot entrance had increased.

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Boot space is up simply because they FINALLY replaced those stupid goose neck hinges that meant the sides couldn't be stacked to the top.

Full size tyre doesn't affect boot space.

Most space savers are rated to 80kph but not sure on distance. Personally I think for around town they are a great idea as you could easily get a tyre repaired or replaced in 1 - 2 days. And with stop start driving around town, saving on wieght anywhere for fuel efficiency benefits is worth it.

I'm still going to option the full size though and leave it in the garage for when I go out of town. :D I personally think it's a VERY practacle idea. If you can afford $40k + for a new car, you can afford to option up the full size spare...

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V & VZ Storm Ute
The VE has the fuel tank relocated in front of the rear axle. This should increase boot space.

B

BoostinJet

It'll be good to see it actually come out then we can look for ourselves.

B

Binary

Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Most space savers are rated to 80kph but not sure on distance. Personally I think for around town they are a great idea as you could easily get a tyre repaired or replaced in 1 - 2 days. And with stop start driving around town, saving on wieght anywhere for fuel efficiency benefits is worth it.

I agree - I think space savers are a great idea. For 99% of the population who live in city/suburban areas there is basically no point carting around and paying for (in new car price) a full size alloy wheel. I mean, how often do you get a flat tyre. And when you do, the performance of these wheels is better than you would think, especially when the VE has ESP standard for any traction shortcomings.

If you live out in a remote area where you are likely to do a lot of higher speed driving on rough roads, option up to full. Otherwise, mini-spare all the way IMHO.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i agree yes they would be good around cities but space savers that i have seen are narrower than wheelbarrow wheels, it just dosnt seem right:bang:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
andyman said:
i agree yes they would be good around cities but space savers that i have seen are narrower than wheelbarrow wheels, it just dosnt seem right:bang:

I dont see the problem. All this does is give the buyer choice. If you want the bigger sized wheel or you go country driving alot, then you just pay he extra $100 or $250 depending on the model for the bigger wheel.

If they made it standard then EVERYONE would be paying an extra $100 to $250 depending on the model. This way people can have it if they want it, or stick with the space saver.

B

Binary

andyman said:

You mean narrower than VN commodore tyres :p
And VNs had them in all corners and the boot, and no ESP :D

Their performance is better than they look in my experience, and you only have to look at them temporarily.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Binary said:
Their performance is better than they look in my experience, and you only have to look at them temporarily.

yea i know, ending my rant