Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE boot

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Rombles said:
...unless they introduced a space-saver as standard, to encourage people to replace a damaged tyre with one which matched the appropriate position on the car.

but the fact there's still the option for a full sized makes my point still.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Evman said:
I can't imagine Holden, or any other car manufacturer (who's cars actually have a spare tyre) bringing out directional tyres as standard just for this reason.

Hmmm, my VY SS came out with Bridgestone Potenza's. I've since replaced them, but could've sworn they were directional! I could be wrong though, maybe somebody can confirm/deny this?

john41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
Bridgestone Potenzas are non directional.
The tires feature an asymmetrical, nondirectional tread pattern. Bridgestone has optimized the inside portion of the tread for wet-weather driving, which is especially important in Europe, and the outer tread for dry.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
john41 said:
Bridgestone Potenzas are non directional.
The tires feature an asymmetrical, nondirectional tread pattern. Bridgestone has optimized the inside portion of the tread for wet-weather driving, which is especially important in Europe, and the outer tread for dry.

...There you go!!! :thumbsup:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
The boot opening seems tiny.

Back to the thread topic.....

There is a lack of detail/photos of the boot available and for good reason. I had a look at them and although there are no more hinges intruding on the luggage, the opening seems tiny!!!

I have a 7-piece drum kit and everything but the kick drum can fit in my VY boot (with the intruding hinges). I can't see them getting through the opening of the VE. :bang: I didn't notice where the battery is stored, although there is a "door" on the left side. Also, there was a thin space saver in a deep wheel well that could be used for additional storage.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, a good example of the car's styling compromising practicality.

For me, I don't think the smaller opening will be an issue, but it's still a shame I guess...

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
davey g-force said:
Yeah, a good example of the car's styling compromising practicality.

Yeah but remember the VE is targeted to compete directly with European imports. Anyone checked their boot space and open size recently? Holden still wins hands down!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Marks-VY said:
Back to the thread topic.....

There is a lack of detail/photos of the boot available and for good reason. I had a look at them and although there are no more hinges intruding on the luggage, the opening seems tiny!!!

I think you will find it is a bit of an optical illusion. I thought the same thing but the salesman insisted it was slightly larger. Unfortunatly I didn't have a tape measure with me at the time to varify it. Will check at some stage. Boot space is *very* important to me!

Reaper

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Reaper said:
the salesman insisted it was slightly larger

boot capacity is up but I think it's extra space is less functional and the opening is almost certainlt smaller...

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Just going back to the fuel tank, if you have a look at your car whether it is a VZ or other model you will see the fuel tank just behind the rear bumper.
In the US they passed a law about a year ago all fuel tanks had to be forward of the back axle the reason was they were having so many rear end collisions and people were getting burnt to death with the tank at the back, so if the VE has it rear of the back axle I would say it must because of a new ADR.