Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE brake conversion kit

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had the VT brakes on my VP ute. Wasn’t too impressed. Made further improvements but still not great.

Advice back then was to go VE and I should of.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VE brakes are a lot heavier and VT brakes are quite sufficient for the VR.

Not so much about the stopping power, the main advantage is that the VE master cylinder and booster system is much more similar in size to the VN-VS one than the bigger VT system, so you can pretty much just put on the calipers and be done with it. Or just much less dicking around in general than swapping/modifying VT parts to fit to get it to feel right.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
my advice is to upgrade booster/mc than you can fit any brand 2 or more piston calipers im talking from experience my ute is fitted with the rda 321mm rotor ve calipers 6-7 years ago and did vt-vy booster/mc upgrade a 3 years ago and it made a very big improvement both in pedal feel and braking

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Ok so the VE conversion is a lot less involved than the VT. But there won’t be much difference felt between the two unless I upgrade the master cylinder and booster on the VE conversion and then there will be a bigger difference felt between the two and the VE Conversion would be far superior? Or are VT and VE brakes at the same level no matter what?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The idea is that you're not supposed to need to upgrade that stuff for the VE conversion, however results will vary because these cars are edging on 30 years old and you may have to replace stuff accordingly (I have also found a lot also comes down to the quality of the bleed job). If it were me I'd just do the VE calipers first and then go from there, no point in buying a whole bunch of extra stuff and pulling it to pieces if you don't need to. Is probably going to be a lot easier if you get an all inclusive kit specifically for this with all the hoses, rotors, and components included and then trouble shoot with the shop if there's issues.

As for performance, if each one is done properly then they likely will be both more than adequate to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell a real difference between them unless you were circuit racing or something stupid.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Ok so the VE conversion is a lot less involved than the VT. But there won’t be much difference felt between the two unless I upgrade the master cylinder and booster on the VE conversion and then there will be a bigger difference felt between the two and the VE Conversion would be far superior? Or are VT and VE brakes at the same level no matter what?
do you know how old your booster/mc mine was over 20 years old i had to double pump sometimes to bring the pedal up and cost is about the same either way

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
RJK I think I’ll go down that route. I’ve had a look online and there is a kit that one of the boys on here sent me a link to. Like you said upgrade the calipers and rotors and go from there without mucking around with the master etc.
Cheers for that advise.
Stick3 I don’t think the booster has been changed in mine so I’m guessing it’s as old as the car. I don’t have to double pump the pedal or anything so I’m hoping once the VE brakes go in it holds up.
Thanks for the advise fellas! Much appreciated.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Advantage of ve brakes is apparently don't need to change m/cyl & booster but smallest rims to fit will be 16's,centre ring & different wheel nuts iirc.

Vt brakes can still run 15's but have to have vt m/cyl & booster or vs plastic booster + m/cyl reservior with vt m/cyl...otherwise brake pedal will be dog poo.

Can't run vr discs as 290mm & thinner than vt 296 & thicker disc.

Personally I'd rather go vt brakes to still run 15' chasers & vs booster/vt m/cyl setup so can still get rocker cover off easier with v8 in the bay...that is plan for vp v8 ute.

Ironically my vh sle with big ass cam stock 270mm brake setup stopped better although vy sv8 daily stocks really well with cheap junk pads so I'd assume even better on lighweight ute.

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Front: Any VT to VZ front calipers will bolt on. You'll nee the backing plates too and they are a straight fit as well. You can buy centering rings or swap your hubs for VT series I which have the same ABS connection, if you have ABS. You'll need new brake lines which should be available on eBay. That's where I got mine. Swap your master cylinder for a VT-VZ item but you'll need to shorten the plunger a mm or so. I unscrewed the mushroom head nut and ground the shaft down a bit to fit. A reservoir from an AU falcon fits the master cylinder and has the correct angle for the VR firewall.
Rear: If you have IRS, VT to VZ trailing arms bolt on as well and come with the brakes. They are a wider but still fit under the guards. You'll need spacers to make the drive shafts fit. Spacers I used were from a Porsche 996. I also welded on the toe control links and swapped in the M80 LSD but that's another story.