Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE brake lights - Not working when ignition off….

waldog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly a VE Sportwagon soon.
Hey brains trust

As the title says -VE brake lights - Not working when ignition off….

I’ve only just noticed it, but could have been the case forever.

only point of note is that I connected a new bike rack yesterday and the lights were whack…. Indicators opposite….

Check all the fuses I can find and no issues found.

What’s the deal? Is everyone’s VE like this and I’ve never noticed? Every other car I’ve owned certainly was t like this.

Cheers, Grant

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
"I" wouldnt trust my brain some times, but the grey matter still has some life in it !

Yes, that is correct,
Brake lights DO NOT work when the ignition off,
But,
If you turn the ignition on, and have your foot on the brake pedal they will illuminate,
if you leave your foot on the brake pedal and turn the ignition off, they wont stay on,
if you remove your foot, and place it on the pedal again, they will not illuminate, [or after a given time delay]
Well thats what I have observed.

Last edited:

waldog

Reaction score
Members Ride
"I" wouldnt trust my brain some times, but the grey matter still has some life in it !

Yes, that is correct,
But,
If you turn the ignition on, and have your foot on the brake pedal they will illuminate,
if you leave your foot on the brake pedal and turn the ignition off, they will stay on,
if you remove your foot, and place it on the pedal again, they will not illuminate, [or after a given time delay]
Well thats what I have observed.

Thanks buddy.

Bit of a weird one.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I thought they did work when the ignition was off, but only when the ignition was in the accessory position, which could be where the confusion comes from.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Strange..... Both of my VE's brake lights work when you press the pedal without the key in the ignition.
So does the VF...

Reactions: Lex

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine definitely don’t work with the ignition is off,
As I thought at one stage both globes had blown,
Being I have replaced so many globes over the years, especially the passengers side,
as I buy them in bulk now.

I have checked the wiring, fittings etc,
It’s just possibly the camber on the left of the road is rougher than the centre.
Typical of VIC Roads, repair a section of a road that doesn’t need it, doesn’t repair a road that doesnt needs it.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Every vehicle I’ve owned will see the brake lights operate if the pedal is pressed regardless of the key position… So it’s interesting you experiance something different with your VE.

Also interestingly is the following:

Australian Light Vehicle Standards Rules 2015
95 Performance and operation of brake lights
  1. When on, a brake light must show a red light visible 30 metres from the rear of the vehicle.
  2. A brake light fitted to a street rod vehicle may incorporate a blue lens not over 20 millimetres in diameter.
  3. A brake light fitted to a motor vehicle must come on, if it is not already on, when:
    (a) for a vehicle with 4 or more wheels or built after 1974 — a service brake is applied; or
    (b) for another vehicle — the rear wheel brake is applied.
  4. Subrule (3) does not apply if the controls in the vehicle that start the engine are in a position that makes it impossible for the engine to operate.
  5. A brake light on a trailer must come on when:
    (a) the brake light of the towing vehicle comes on; or
    (b) a brake control on the towing vehicle, which independently activates the service brake on the trailer, is operated.
  6. A brake light may be operated by an engine brake, retarder, or similar device if the device does not interfere with the proper operation of the brake light
Trying to find the relevant information from ADR’s is a pain since we’ve harmonised with UNECE standards :rolleyes:

Guess this means it’s ok for brake lights not to operate if key is off… but I’d think how it works would be consistent for any given model/manufacture :eek:

waldog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Every vehicle I’ve owned will see the brake lights operate if the pedal is pressed regardless of the key position… So it’s interesting you experiance something different with your VE.

Also interestingly is the following:

Australian Light Vehicle Standards Rules 2015
95 Performance and operation of brake lights
  1. When on, a brake light must show a red light visible 30 metres from the rear of the vehicle.
  2. A brake light fitted to a street rod vehicle may incorporate a blue lens not over 20 millimetres in diameter.
  3. A brake light fitted to a motor vehicle must come on, if it is not already on, when:
    (a) for a vehicle with 4 or more wheels or built after 1974 — a service brake is applied; or
    (b) for another vehicle — the rear wheel brake is applied.
  4. Subrule (3) does not apply if the controls in the vehicle that start the engine are in a position that makes it impossible for the engine to operate.
  5. A brake light on a trailer must come on when:
    (a) the brake light of the towing vehicle comes on; or
    (b) a brake control on the towing vehicle, which independently activates the service brake on the trailer, is operated.
  6. A brake light may be operated by an engine brake, retarder, or similar device if the device does not interfere with the proper operation of the brake light
Trying to find the relevant information from ADR’s is a pain since we’ve harmonised with UNECE standards :rolleyes:

Guess this means it’s ok for brake lights not to operate if key is off… but I’d think how it works would be consistent for any given model/manufacture :eek:
Agreed, why isn’t it consistent….

Gah…. I don’t know who I am anymore…..

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was told today, I have a Brake Light out AGAIN,
this time the RH side,
So get the box of 21/5 Globes out again !

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
So get the box of 21/5 Globes out again !
i think i mentioned this in a previous post
but either buy from holden or buy commercial globes from your auto parts store
i average about every 5 years or 100,000km for a globe
but the ve does seem the worst for brake lights