Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE brake upgrade

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Hmmm ok - I doubt I'll be able to do that on my VR - it doesn't seem that it'll fit under the stock equipe rims (15"?) I'll have to measure the rims to get a bit of an idea of what size they are and go from that....

Rim size is printed on your tire, and if you get the V6 VE brakes they will fit under 16's (well most of them) 15's, no way.

As for not needing to do a booster/MC upgrade, i found when i done mine the pedal got a little bit squishy already had a 1inch master and V8 booster, it was in my VN V8. So I dont trust it when people say you dont need to upgrade them, altho they might be different VR/VS I wouldnt know.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Rim size is printed on your tire, and if you get the V6 VE brakes they will fit under 16's (well most of them) 15's, no way.

As for not needing to do a booster/MC upgrade, i found when i done mine the pedal got a little bit squishy already had a 1inch master and V8 booster, it was in my VN V8. So I dont trust it when people say you dont need to upgrade them, altho they might be different VR/VS I wouldnt know.

No, the kit will not fit with all 16" rims, not even sure if they fit with VE 16's on the earlier models. The caliper mount is different so it puts the caliper in a different spot to suit the different offset of the VR-VS rotor.

Out of all the kits I have sold, not one has complained of a squishy pedal, in fact, the pedal actually got a bit harder and more responsive.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
No, the kit will not fit with all 16" rims, not even sure if they fit with VE 16's on the earlier models. The caliper mount is different so it puts the caliper in a different spot to suit the different offset of the VR-VS rotor.

Out of all the kits I have sold, not one has complained of a squishy pedal, in fact, the pedal actually got a bit harder and more responsive.

Says on your link 298 diam fits std wheel sizes from 16", is this just there for VT up or somthing?

I havent complained about it to who i got the kit off, just delt with it. Just letting people know of my experiences with them. :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I should elaborate. I was told by RDA that it should fit with 16", but it didn't. The car was a VN with 298mm rotors, it had VY 16" steelies and the rim fouled the caliper. That is the only VN I know of that tried to fit the kit with 16" wheels.

This is why I say it doesn't fit with all 16" rims.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
it should also be noted that the calipers need to be place on the OPPOSITE side to what they are stamped on the caliper, otherwise you cant bleed the air out .

i helped tom do his and they are awesome. i would do this upgrade to my car if i could afford it.

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
So you only change the front then? Why not the back brakes aswell? Or will it not make a difference

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The front has about 70% of the braking so the rears don't need doing. Just changing to a slotted rotor and fitting decent pads is enough.

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
i dunno, if i got the VE or VT kit, but mines basically this.

'http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-VR-VS-VT-BIG-BRAKE-UPGRADE-SLOTTED-DISCS-/120707764942?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1abe52ce'

330mm front twin piston's with slotted disc's, the pedal died down into the floor after fitting (but i had a nasty cam at the time) and it still was ok, so long as you braked with the engine revs, but I was always wanting to fit the VT booster upgrade to see how much pedal i would get back.

i didnt use the shim's when fitting mine (didnt seem right for some reason) but the brakes themselves are great (so long as you know their limits for locking up without ABS etc).

(also, the calipers didnt clear my 16" VY calais rims originally - so i whacked 18's on) - apparently most 16's should fit, but mine didnt. (if you have 17's you should be sweet)

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
i dunno, if i got the VE or VT kit, but mines basically this.

'http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-VR-VS-VT-BIG-BRAKE-UPGRADE-SLOTTED-DISCS-/120707764942?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1abe52ce'

330mm front twin piston's with slotted disc's, the pedal died down into the floor after fitting (but i had a nasty cam at the time) and it still was ok, so long as you braked with the engine revs, but I was always wanting to fit the VT booster upgrade to see how much pedal i would get back.

i didnt use the shim's when fitting mine (didnt seem right for some reason) but the brakes themselves are great (so long as you know their limits for locking up without ABS etc).

(also, the calipers didnt clear my 16" VY calais rims originally - so i whacked 18's on) - apparently most 16's should fit, but mine didnt. (if you have 17's you should be sweet)

The shims are in the kit for a reason. The hub centres are slightly larger with the VT onwards front rotors. The shim is to keep the rotor from movement and to keep it center to the hub.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Is the VE Brake conversion? Definitly.
As mentioned above I have it in my ute, it pulls up so much harder, not only is it fun to mess with passengers its great when that Asshole infront of you in an Audi TT decides he wants to stop for an Orange or even green light.
I went from worn front brakes, and seized back ones, to The RDA VE 322mm kit and reconditioned back brakes with matching slotted & dimpled rotors, my stopping distance would have been halved at a guess. Total cost was about $1200, which was with replacement reconiditoned back calipers and hoses, back rotors, Bendix CT pads, 4L of PBR DOT 4 Brake fluid, and the entire front kit.

There is no requirement for a 1" master/booster, pedal feels is much the same as a normal VS, but I can see the benefit to have a 1" master/booster. I plan to put a 1" master/booster in, not because it needs it, but because I can and I want to milk the brakes even more.

Installing them is simple, as Nem said remember the left caliper goes on the right, and vice versa, this was my biggest problem, which we wasted probably 4 hours on, before realising.
The dust plate thing protecting the rotor does have to be cut or removed. Need to cut 2 -3 inches off, or drill two pop rivets out to remove it.

If anyone does the upgrade and needs help, shoot me a PM.

EDIT:
Justification: It cost $1200, if I ran up the back of someone which was likely with bad brakes, my excess is $1300 plus Im still out of pocket for any damage to my car.