Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Brake Upgrade

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
thanks guys for all the input I have recently found some vf ssv redline Brembos for sale would it be hard to fit them onto the vl? I do like the idea of keeping my old calais wheels to haha

Doubt you'll keep your old calais wheels fitting brembos, however there are new larger diametre wheels that have come out, that look like the old school Commodore wheels. ie the old HDT wheels from the VH era...Can't remember off hand who is making them

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I should rephrase that I figured they wouldn’t fit under the 15s but I know I’d miss them it’s just a curious thought of what all these big horsepower vl guys are using for brakes

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Common brake upgrade, which fits under 15" rims is the VT conversion....Can be done around the $1,000 mark....

You can either use your standard booster master cylinder set up, or use a VT booster with VS master....The latter being recommended alot by people on here...

Me personally on my VC have a VT caliper set up, with a VC master, which is what you'd have at the moment, and a double diaphram booster...Yours will be a single diaphram booster. From that I also have braided front brake hoses from safe brakes....Had my set up for 5 ish years no problems

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Common brake upgrade, which fits under 15" rims is the VT conversion....Can be done around the $1,000 mark....

You can either use your standard booster master cylinder set up, or use a VT booster with VS master....The latter being recommended alot by people on here...

Me personally on my VC have a VT caliper set up, with a VC master, which is what you'd have at the moment, and a double diaphram booster...Yours will be a single diaphram booster. From that I also have braided front brake hoses from safe brakes....Had my set up for 5 ish years no problems
Pulls up like a champ?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Pulls up like a champ?
Just a VT/VX front disk/caliper upgrade with the VLTurbo booster/master cylinder along with vl disk rears is a good affordable upgrade, fits and can handle 200/300 Kw and using your 15" alloys, its been done a million times.
The VE upgrade needs the extra caliper bracket and bigger rims and is basically the same stopping power as VT/VX, actually the VE has bigger disks but smaller pad area overall and slightly smaller m/cylinder than VT/VX, both are bigger than 1".

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Thanks man any ideas on the vf Brembo setup guys let’s not bring the 15’s into it this time haha

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You can buy 19(?) inch vl calais rims for it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You can buy 19(?) inch vl calais rims for it

There is an aftermarket 19" rim(I think), which is a direct copy of the old HDT wheels, from the VH era cars....To me, they like the original from a distance...It not til you get up close you realise they are aftermarket and larger diametre