Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Brake Upgrade

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VE came standard with 16" wheels....Maybe if upgrading to Brembos, then 18" wheels will be the go... :)
Models with brembos had 19s. I thought standard must have been 18s, like mine is. I had 16s on the VR and they were too small for VE brakes.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Models with brembos had 19s. I thought standard must have been 18s, like mine is. I had 16s on the VR and they were too small for VE brakes.

Na....VE base models had 16" steel rims...

Here's one
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3636243...DoJMNd37tOFKHstei5xI0gIJhEHAoPREaAkbKEALw_wcB

I'll agree not too many people are familiar with the fact VE's came out with a 16" steel rim as standard, as most Commodores of this era have larger alloys but rest assured they did exist.... :)

Do a little search over the Omega....They were the base model with 16" steel rims standard from the factory

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
ve 2 sizes v6 298mm rotor and v8 321mm but with ve caliper brake kits you see on line from various sites to suit pre ve they can come with any size rotor, i have seen them upto 330mm
so you have to make sure you have wheels that fit

my ute has 17s they just fit over the 321mm rotors the caliper mounting bracket are v6 than you have the dog bones bolted to the turn knuckles this kit was made by RDA known as the big brake kit

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The Redline did come out with 19" rims as standard for the Brembo brakes. However it is the offset that determines if they will fit. Not all 19" or above will clear the Brembo brakes. Some 18" rims will clear. I fitted Brembo brakes to a VE SS Ute I once owned with 18" rims.

Reactions: Lex

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hey guys not to sure if anyone has done this but I’m curious to know if anyone has the ve brake upgrade on there vl I know a lot of people do the vt one. But the ve one seems bigger & better so be rude not too haha let me know cheers Wayne
Stock VE disk/calipers need bigger rims,
Stock VT brakes will fit 15" steel rims
Most VLs upgrade to VT disks, 2 piston calipers from their VL smaller disk, 1 piston caliper so they can use their original factory calais alloy rims.

Stock VT/VX/VE are virtually the same brakes with a few lil differences and basically stop about the same providing you do the full conversion of booster, m/cyl, disks, calipers and any of them will be an good improvement of braking on the lighter VL

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There's a bit more to it than just calipers on the early stuff. You'll need conversion hubs, lines, brackets.... and using your stock booster and master is going to leave it spongy like a bowl of mashed potato. It just can't move the extra fluid well enough. Throwing in a VS booster modded to suit a vt-vt master can overcome this

You're more likely to find VT 298mm upgrade kits over VE but the short story is.... It's a fair bit of stuffing around and cash to make it worthwhile, especially if you're not going with a kit. The VE caliper on paper is a better caliper but the 298mm twin pot PBR is still going to smoke stock VL junk

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Why are people saying vt m/cyl with ve brakes...major bonus of kit is ability to use m/cyl booster already on car but as above few things required.

vt brakes you 100% need to fit vt m/cyl...downside is anything before vs needs booster swap & brake line adaptors or original brake lines reflared to suit.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Why are people saying vt m/cyl with ve brakes...major bonus of kit is ability to use m/cyl booster already on car but as above few things required.

vt brakes you 100% need to fit vt m/cyl...downside is anything before vs needs booster swap & brake line adaptors or original brake lines reflared to suit.
my booster/mc was over 20 years old and to replace it at the time it cost about the same so i went for the latest and but now vt-vy parts are cheaper then vs

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
thanks guys for all the input I have recently found some vf ssv redline Brembos for sale would it be hard to fit them onto the vl? I do like the idea of keeping my old calais wheels to haha