Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE brakepads

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I got my 3.0 VE at auction. It is an ex-Police sedan. I've done 11,000 km since buying the car, and have no complaints about the brakes.

The Police mechanic uses "Bendix Ultimate" brake pads, and selected these because of heat disspation and performance in extreme braking. I agree that they are important considerations, however ...

these pads throw a lot of near-black brake-dust, which makes the alloy rims look really crappy. when I replace the pads, I'm wondering if there is a pad out there that -
not too much dust;
not too expensive;
and most importantly, provides good braking.
I understand that issues like this are always a compromise, so I'll put the question this way -
what are you using, and are you happy with it ?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
thats a tough one mate..... brakes, like tyres, have performance characteristics that directly relate to wear (better performing tyres are made of softer compound rubber, but wear quicker.... same with pads.... better performance = more dust and/or noise).

you've got this list already:

not too much dust;
not too expensive;
and most importantly, provides good braking.

the only way you're going to get the answer you are looking for is to prioritise these suckers.... 1,2,3.
i love Pagid pads for instance because of their performance, but they arent cheap and are definitely dusty.... so they dont go on my VE as a daily driver.

how much "extreme braking" are you planning on doing really?
it sounds as though budget and dust free are your top priorities (as they would be for most people), so why not just stick with Bendix Generals. They will do what you want at the right price, are a reputable brand performance wise, and are nice and quiet.

Otherwise go the Ultimates, but be prepared to clean!
There's no magic pad out there bud.... performance = dust and noise, but that's not to say something like the Generals wont suit your needs. Just stay away from cheap chinese crap! I never understand the principle of 'saving money' on cheap crap tyres or brakes.... they are two of the most important parts on the car and going cheap isnt worth it.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
yep, like 2die said, hit up GSL Rallysport for some great pads. your wallet will thank you.

Bendix Ultimate do nothing but eat your rotors....

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
Bendix Ultimate do nothing but eat your rotors....

I'll 2nd that. Bendix Ultimates will chew your rotors like sandpaper. Been there done that. There is another pad that I use from QFM. LTM 003's have a heat range from 0-560deg which is far better than OEM pads at 360deg but still very kind on rotors. And as far as dust, I would rate them as low to medium.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
thankyou 2Die, UFO, CC, & VEV8 -
thankyou for reminding me about rotor wear: it's been a long time since I've had to replace rotors ... last time was on a HQ.
My driving style won't require much extreme braking. I drive the highways a bit, and up here, they're unfenced, so wildlife & ferals are a hazard (the VZ took out five pigs in one go, and was still driveable).
I've invested $4 in a wheel brush, and told my 7-year old that he's in charge of wheels. Maybe that will be enough to keep me happy with the dust problem.

And I looked at that link to RDA - we're spoiled for choice !

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
I've invested $4 in a wheel brush, and told my 7-year old that he's in charge of wheels. Maybe that will be enough to keep me happy with the dust problem.

hahaha good form! ive recently had my brakes start squeeling a bit. but it only seems to be when they are cold. is this a sign of wear or just that cold brakes will squeak (dependant on pad quality)?

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
I'll 2nd that. Bendix Ultimates will chew your rotors like sandpaper. Been there done that. There is another pad that I use from QFM. LTM 003's have a heat range from 0-560deg which is far better than OEM pads at 360deg but still very kind on rotors. And as far as dust, I would rate them as low to medium.

What heat range do the Bendix Ultimates have?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
What heat range do the Bendix Ultimates have?
A-touch-warm to 550 degrees....

Previously we would've recommended QFM HPX, but we are slowly phasing HPX out in favor of an even better performance street pad. It's a European performance pad called Remsa, which is rated to 650 degrees (versus 550 for the HPX or Bendix Ultimate), whilst still being low dust and rotor wear. Also the Remsa come with noise reducing features such as a relief groove and shamfers in the pad material, as well as a soft backing shim, all of which the HPX do not come with. We've been supplying Remsa to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years, but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars.

Price on Remsa to suit popular Commodores:
VB-VE Front $89
VB-VZ Rear $89
VE Rear $85
C5 PBR Corvette Front $105

And yep, for VT-VZ, these are still the very popular full face police spec version!!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
hey GSL, i'll be making a trip to QLD soon.
Question about full face pads - If i put full face pads onto standard rotors that have done a few .... 150 thou... k's with standard pads does the little 'lip' on the outside edge of the rotor cause problems with the new pads ?
\ reaches for the angle gringer /