Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais 6L rear main seal replacement

Rallyrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
The next job I have for my VE Calais is fix the rear main seal leak.

I read a lot of people suffice with self centering of the seal when its pre-fitted in the housing, but there are many horror stories of getting this wrong. I don't have a workshop manual, but snipits in threads indicate GM recommends an alignment tool. EBAY search suggests you can buy 'genuine GM' seals pre-fitted to the rear housing (if you believe the seller) .

1. Do GM use an alignment tool that is used with the seal fitted in housing ? I watched a Mr Gasket you-tube for LS rear mains which shows they have 2 alignment tools, 1 is used with the seal already fitted in housing. Aeroflow and other locally listed alignment tools are all used without the seal fitted.

Trying to understand if its better buying a new seal and gasket, or a rear cover kit (which all seem to come with the seal pre-fitted) and possibly a 2nd seal. Assuming the Aeroflow or similar (no seal) alignment tool is all I can get my hands on.

2 How necessary is it to replace the rear cover, does it distort as some resellers suggest, or is it more likely you'll pull the threads removing the sump bolts , or is corrosion a factor?

3. Any other tricks or pain points when removing the auto ?

4. do you replace the front transmission seal whilst its in bits and is this straight forward or another pain point ?

5. References to a new designed seal in some LS threads and vids. Seems genuine GM seals remained problematic as VF 's with low KM were reporting leaks, does anyone make an improved seal or are all seals a 'later' design ?

7. Any recommendations for good or bad brands ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There was a thread on this very thing a few months back.
Gearbox out.
Id suggest replacing the whole plate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any more info on the procedure. Is it just gearbox and clutch out, or is it sump off too?