Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais drivers mirror replacement and heating functionality

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Hi all, in the market to replace drivers-side mirror assembly. This was (ahem...) reversed into a fence post. As you'll likely be aware the Calais (and probably others too) mirrors come with puddle light and heated mirror. Question: Whilst I'd like to keep the original functionality of the mirror, it seems the aftermarket mirrors don't routinely come with the heating functionality. Is this really needed? Maybe this is more for very, very cold areas...? Then again, maybe I wouldn't know its come on half the time???

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

Cheers

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Get a used complete mirror assy. It saves messing around with the internals. If your painted cover is OK, it can just be swapped onto the new mirror.
A wrecker near me in SA sell the complete mirror for a bit over $120 for the heated and puddle light version. Plain VE mirror is $77.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Calais and Caprice used the heated mirror.
We have had our Calais 14 years and not once used the heated mirrors.

Best to buy second hand.
The cover that has the colour can be replaced in minutes with your old cover if it wasn’t damaged.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Calais and Caprice used the heated mirror.
We have had our Calais 14 years and not once used the heated mirrors.

Best to buy second hand.
The cover that has the colour can be replaced in minutes with your old cover if it wasn’t damaged.
Thanks Fu/all. Got a replacement genuine GM from Holmart. Along with same badly needed mats. Paid a bit more for the mirror assembly than 2nd hand, but he threw in some nice genuine covers (still don't know if I like the chrome though...). :confused:

It's about time I spent a bit on the car as feel I've been a bad parent in recent years. Now for the windscreen and door seals...

Cheers,

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Heated Calais mirrors have 6 pin plug & standard are 4 or 5 pin.
So you would need to replace with like for like.