Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais Series 2 - new Head Unit - Android Auto

impactoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Series 2 (2011)
So I finf my car is the only car in the family without integrated Android Auto... Been using a clip in car mount for years - and it does drive me mad at times....

So should I replace the Holden infotainment system with something else... Trying to decide... Read a lot of articles here and google for research and some items I am still not sure on...

I have not decided if its a Kenwood or Pioneer or other unit installed.... My criteria might be set to the answers that follow - but the main objective is for everything to work as it does now and to give me Android Auto (Wireless if possible). DAB would be nice....

- Assuming I use the Aerpro Dual Zone Fascia, and associated wiring harnesses, I know my little container at the bottom of the console with lift up lid will need to be replaced by just a tray - and I probably would install the Aerpro AWCGM1 QI charging tray - very pricey for what it is - but hey..... the idea of just sitting down throwing phone on it - no cables, its charging and android display working just sounds like my request !!

Will my factory fitted rear camera work... or will I need to replace it - I dont want the extra hassle of running new cables... so what do we do here - when we upgrade to a new head unit....
I like the guide marks on the rear camera - surely they are superimposed by the holden system, so in upgrading the head unit - will those guide lines go, or how would I configure that...
Will the camera still come online, immediately I put the car into reverse - i dont need to press other buttons do I ? It will overide what is already on the screen like it does now....

Everywhere it says that the full controls on the steering wheel remain operational - so I expect the phone button, volume, select, scroll etc all to work similar - for those that have done a similar upgrade - is this true... is this what is expected, or what have you found not working well....

No interference with controls or display on the cluster console - can still use the settings / change things / see the information I would normally see...

Is there anything I have not thought of - a suprise, should I do this... what will I notice or be disappointed in ? ( I know I will miss my train crossing warnings - but they were meaningless anyway lol)

Thanks
Keith

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have a budget in mind? I'd go Pioneer over Kenwood as the sound is cleaner.

impactoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
No budget is not the factor at the moment - guessing with the fascia etc - probably over $1k... I am already favoring pioneer - I have seen a few websites mentioning Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT 6.8 Capacitive Screen, but of course this is only a wired android auto unit... So I would probably go for the DMH-Z6350BT because it has AA Wireless - still sticking with a 6.8" screen as I dont want it exceeding the available space...

But the bottom line for all of this is compatibility with the calais - does my exisiting camera work, will the dual zone work properly, and controls on the steering wheel.... Want something that is still properly integrated - and if not, then I wont do it, and just wait a couple of years for the new car.... whatever that may be!

impactoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seen that - but has been out of stock for over 6 months now.....

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Seen that - but has been out of stock for over 6 months now.....

might pay to contact them, i know i did when i wanted a cable and i think the stock indicator on their site isn't always accurate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
might pay to contact them, i know i did when i wanted a cable and i think the stock indicator on their site isn't always accurate.
I've emailed him a few times and never hear back. Given up now. Shame because his gear was top notch.

impactoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Going to give up on this idea.... its just too hard... Had not realised the Aerpro Fascia was a series 1 and they have nothing for a Series 2... Yup I have a series 2... Not only that but my Series 2 Calais seems to have a different trim to a lot of the photos on the web - and the silver trim just runs right through the middle of it all - see pic attached.
Nothing seems to fit and honestly I dont want to be changing / downgrading the console trims.

The only solution acceptable is that envyous customs and based on the number of enquiries on their facebook page, inactivity, I am thinking its fake news and never really existed... Always out of stock just a bite to grab you to visit their page - unless someone actually says they have one lol. I would certainly buy this in a heart beat !!!! Even at a premium !

Guess I will just wait until I sell the car.....

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 172

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
he could be just swamped, they used to be a Just Commodores active sponsor. Also many of us (myself included) have purchased diagnostic cables and software from him.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, I bought AED off him a while ago. But last two years he hasn't replied once to my enquiries. I shouldn't have to keep sending reminder emails that don't get answered either. Given up chasing him. Others might have better luck. I just shop elsewhere now.