Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais-V 6L Clunk when engaging D or R-other owners comment?

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Hi everyone,
MY-08 Calais-V 6L 13,000KM- I've noticed a hard 'clunk' when engaging Drive or Reverse.
The clunk goes away if I go between R & D a few times (up through Neutral) but if I shut the engine down & restart, the clunk immediately re-asserts itself when putting into D or R.

Doesn't matter if engine is cold or warm (obviously when it's cold it's idling faster).

It really irritates me because the last time I owned a commodore, it was a VX- S pak and engaging gears was always smooth.

Secondly, I notice in corners when decelerating/ accelerating a huge 'lag' as the engine drops from 3rd back to 2nd -is this normal too or should I not be accelerating out of corners (even gently!)- The lag is so bad, everyone's head rocks forward and then back (looks like waynes world for a second in the car!)
Update from Holden Nov 08- clunky 6spd auto is due to a valve in the tranny that holden are 'considering' redesigning & retro-fitting because it causes clunks into D or R AND 'flairing' into 3rd from 2nd and lagging back to 2nd from 3rd- exactly what I was complaining about bugger me!
Sorry for length of message- any advice GRATEFULLY recieved.

thanks,

Can anyone with the same config car tell me if this is normal?

Last edited:

Gero SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 auto5sp
Cheak the AT fluid level.I have see new car (only 12km on them) with low fluid.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Neither of mine have ever done that. I'd return it to Holden for them to fix it.

Reaper

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Hi everyone,
MY-08 Calais-V 6L 13,000KM- I've noticed a hard 'clunk' when engaging Drive or Reverse.

I have the transmission clunk. Many people on the LS1 forum also do. I've taken it back to the dealer six times for this problem, and HSV have taken the car back to their headquarters and had 3 design "engineers" go over it.

Of course, the finding was that it's operating normally. Not much you can do I'm afraid.

Secondly, I notice in corners when decelerating/ accelerating a huge 'lag' as the engine drops from 3rd back to 2nd -is this normal too or should I not be accelerating out of corners (even gently!)- The lag is so bad, everyone's head rocks forward and then back (looks like waynes world for a second in the car!)

Normal. The automatic transmission is the most sluggish, jerky, non responsive transmission I have ever driven with.

Again, try the dealer, but they will simply tell you it's normal.

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Thanks for all your advice- if that transmission noise is normal then that's very disappointing for $60K+ car (all options are on it!).
I'm going to have a crack at Holden looking at it (or at least 'logging' my complaints) because after careful observation I have detected that other than the initial 'clunk' engaging D/R that the 3rd to 2nd gear kickdown lag is matched by an intermittent 'surge' in revs when going from 2nd to 3rd under gentle acceleration --- it's gotta be cogs surely... The bastard thing is that this 2nd/3rd issue doesn't happen all the time (so you can bet it won't happen when test driven!)
cheers all

cody_(ve/R8)

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve clubsport r8
Hi everyone,
The clunk goes away if I go between R & D a few times (up through Neutral) but if I shut the engine down & restart, the clunk immediately re-asserts itself when putting into D or R.

Doesn't matter if engine is cold or warm (obviously when it's cold it's idling faster).

It really irritates me because the last time I owned a commodore, it was a VX- S pak and engaging gears was always smooth.

Sorry for length of message- any advice GRATEFULLY recieved.

thanks,

Can anyone with the same config car tell me if this is normal?

Hey mate had the same prob with my VY V6 All it was, was the transmission fluid was very low. Through new fluid in and then it was all good:thumbsup:

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Update from Holden Nov 08- clunky 6spd auto is due to a valve in the tranny that holden are 'considering' redesigning & retro-fitting because it causes clunks into D or R AND 'flairing' into 3rd from 2nd and lagging back to 2nd from 3rd- exactly what I was complaining about bugger me!

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
vol8000,

can you give me more info on this?

Do you have any formal holden documentation?

I'm really trying to find some proof because they refuse to fix my car. Consumer affairs don't want to hear about it.

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
vol8000,

can you give me more info on this?

Do you have any formal holden documentation?

I'm really trying to find some proof because they refuse to fix my car. Consumer affairs don't want to hear about it.

Hi mate,
Unfortunately, nothing written but when I was in the Holden service centre, as soon as I started describing the symptoms I got as far as describing the 'knock' into drive or reverse (& other such sounds) & the mechanic finished for me by adding "and let me guess, it flairs 2nd to 3rd gear & lags on the downchange on the same cog?"
Beautiful. never been there, didn't ring ahead and he knew all about it.
He said it's a bleed valve in the Transmission that Holden are 'considering' retrofitting but I guess not enough people have jumped up & down.
I for one am VERY disappointed with the transmission and feel it really let's the whole car down- it just feels cheap.

I'm happy to update you after my 15K service, I'm going to cite it as an issue & get them to log it with Holden 'officially'.
The dealer I went to (am changing my service to) seemed more on the ball, more pro-active and more willing to explore possibilities than the first no-hoper holden dealership I won't be dealing with again.

I'll try & get some more info on it, do you have the same gear change anomalies or just the revolting 'clunk' that comes & goes...

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Thanks vol800,

which dealer do you go to ? (I am not sure what state you are in)