Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais-V 6L Clunk when engaging D or R-other owners comment?

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
In VIC,

Was going to Dandenong Holden (not again though) and will be switching to Ferntree Gully Holden.

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Hey again,
Not sure of forum rules so didn't post a thread link here to another forum (yeah, I know I should have read all the rules but it's kind of like your home loan mortgage docs.. who reads all those???)

But in further google-investigating it seems my Holden mechanic was right, the 'flare' in gear change b/w 2-3 is VERY common and is caused by a valve that's supposed to bleed air out of the transmission ONCE on the first 2 to 3 change after the engine is started.. if it continues doing it, the valve is faulty (eg- continues to flare throughout driving rather than only once the first time) but the fail rate is so high.. Holden are reluctant to acknowledge it..

Unfortunately, the flaring if persistent does place more strain on the 'bands' 'clutches?' of the transmission (sorry, I'm not a mechanic) but unknown if this will result in premature wear..

The clunk 'could' be related (likely is what the consensus is) but again, although it represents a HUGE drop in 'refinement' of the A6's performance, Holden are being coy about it tripping warranty....

Frankly, it p*sses me right off because this car is NOT cheap.. but Holden are being cheap about it.
I'm staying on their backs... I want my $60K car to FEEL like a $60K car (as it did when brand new) and not feel like a 1982 Ford XE after 12000 km!!!

What a shame that such a nice car can have it's 'feel' destroyed but such a thing..:cry:

Last edited:

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
HI Everyone,
Herald Sun January 2 2009 Carsguide letters read:
"My Calais V has the same problem (as reader letter December 19) and I have met with the sam disappointing response from local dealers. The issue I'm having is a noticable lag when shifting from second to thrid & when I slow to 32-38km/h then accelerate, the car will free rev then decide to jump into gear"
I didn't see the December 19 letter but suspect it was my letter (for which I received a reply and follow up call from Holden)

This letter is further proof to me that there are many of us out there really disappointed with the 6 speed Auto & Holden is not taking it seriously.
I'm going to follow Holden up on their offer to review my car & see what happens...
Happy New Year everyone,

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Thanks vol800. I've given up with Holden incompetence. I actually went to look at a new HSV on the weekend but seeing this thread again has again upset me!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
HI Everyone,
Herald Sun January 2 2009 Carsguide letters read:
"My Calais V has the same problem (as reader letter December 19) and I have met with the sam disappointing response from local dealers. The issue I'm having is a noticable lag when shifting from second to thrid & when I slow to 32-38km/h then accelerate, the car will free rev then decide to jump into gear"
I didn't see the December 19 letter but suspect it was my letter (for which I received a reply and follow up call from Holden)

This letter is further proof to me that there are many of us out there really disappointed with the 6 speed Auto & Holden is not taking it seriously.
I'm going to follow Holden up on their offer to review my car & see what happens...
Happy New Year everyone,

hmm i fell for you but i believe holden will come to the party, when problems are reported in volume they start investigating, it may take a while until they offically release a fix for the porblem (through techline bulletins and TIS(?)) until then holden might say any transmissions replaced for that problem might be charged back to the dealer because of a small component, i dont know how long you have had the issue but ill say they'll fix it, eventually

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Thanks for informing us all about this vol800.

I'm so far very happy with my A6 but I'll keep this thread in mind if anything happens down the track. :thumbsup:

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Herald Sun Friday January 9 2008.
My letter published December 19 received another response from an equally disgruntled A6 owner citing the same issues EXACTLY. The Sunday Herald Sun writer (Graham Smith) stated " We have had sufficient complaints about the six speed auto box to make us think something fishy is happening

Since Holden contacted me last year after my case was raised with them by Graham Smith, they have not followed up at all (a fact I'm making Graham aware of)

Grahams response in "Ask Smithy" page 24 Herald Sun urges any other Holden A6 owner with similar issues to contact Holden.

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Hi Davey, is your Six speed hooked up to the 6.0 litre or the V6 though?
cheers.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
my 4-speed 4L65e doesn't look so bad right now ... :D