Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Calais V AFM DOD delete kit

alba81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais ve v
Hi fellas how use all doin? I need some help and advice its my first post I don't really know much that's why I'm here anyways I have a 2010 Ve Calais V AFM L76 motor in Automatic I wanna install the AFM DOD delete kit to make it a true V8 but the kits say you need to upgrade your cam to a performance camshaft but nearly all the performance camshafts Ive seen have higher than normal idles I still want that stock idle I want normal acceleration at the lights I don't want no stall converter, I plan on doing a full exhaust and CAI at the same time with a tune obviously but what I wanna know is there any low end torque Camshafts that drive well for every day use and are still good on fuel I'm not after huge power gains I just want a smooth ride that I can still drive everyday any advice would be much appreciated thanks all

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Don’t know if you aware but there is no problem with a revised AFM kit being fitted to your car.
The revisions include a different solenoid control mechanism, bulletproof deactivation lifters, and a better cam that can take you to 300 rwkw with FBO if you want.
By ‘no problem’ revised AFM system I mean exact same as I use in my 320,000 km 640 bhp driven daily at heavy duty. Like a real V8!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Forgot to mention whole shebang will cost you same whether neutering the cylinder deactivation via surgery (as most shops said a decade ago) or upgrading to L77 / GenV AFM lifter spec.
Lots of great AFM street performance cams out now vs installing the GM L77 cam too.

alba81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais ve v
Don’t know if you aware but there is no problem with a revised AFM kit being fitted to your car.
The revisions include a different solenoid control mechanism, bulletproof deactivation lifters, and a better cam that can take you to 300 rwkw with FBO if you want.
By ‘no problem’ revised AFM system I mean exact same as I use in my 320,000 km 640 bhp driven daily at heavy duty. Like a real V8!
What kind of cam do have obviously I'm gonna have more power either way but I don't want that lumpy idle I just want smooth idle at bottom end if it makes sense

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
What kind of cam do have obviously I'm gonna have more power either way but I don't want that lumpy idle I just want smooth idle at bottom end if it makes sense
Sorry I missed this earlier.
I have a custom AFM cam made on the VVT core like all proper Gen IV. The missing VVT had me intrigued so I had it ground with some advance anyway and installed a cam phaser when zipping it back up.
Full specs are elsewhere but for comparison is a 224/228 on 115+6 LSA with 0.555” lift. If I were going to do it again I’d just get this shipped and shave 0.030” while lids are off.
In short the L76 needs lifter update $650 (import US eBay else $850 local eBay), revised valley plate $200, then with performanc cam top quality springs kit $400, CroMo pushrods $200. Total $1450 hardware plus $650 cam. Budget 10 hours labour inc tune, tune seat licence, oil gasket coolant.
Bottom line $2250-2750 for reliable, proven high performance and efficiency upgrade.