Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve calais v seats into ve berlina - need to change front seat buckles?

Veberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
I have a 2009 ve berlina with leather seats and seat airbags, bought a full ve calais v interior including all seats and am in the process of installing.

The wrecker i bought the seats from said i have to change the seat buckles that came with the front calais seats and put my berlina buckles on them, as otherwise the airbags dont work or something.

Do the front buckles have to be changed or can I just use the existing ones on the calais seats? If they do, how do you do it? Looks like some wires go into the buckle and its bolted to the side of the seat, so do I just unplug wires and unbolt? Thanks for any help,

James

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
do the buckles fit into the loom plug?

does the seat belt clip into the buckle and firmly fasten?

does the seat belt light disengeage when youve plugged the buckle into the loom and clipped the seat belt in?

if you answered yes to all three questions, then your answer is YES!!!!

and this has been our rocket science lesson for the day. are there any questions?

Veberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
I havent tested the calais buckles as i didnt want to have to take the seat out again but will try it out this weekend.

Just wanted to be sure theres no absolute requirement to always use your original seat buckles to get the airbags to work, for obvious safety reasons. But i can see your point in that if the buckles are powered / recognized by the system then they should go off correctly.

I hadnt seen any posts here saying buckles need to be changed for a seat swap so was a bit surprised by the wreckers comment.

Veberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
ok thanks, so youre saying the wrecker was wrong and you dont always have to change front buckles, if the buckles plug in and dont display warning light? I just dont want airbags to not work cheers.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sorry, yeah i guess i should clarify., the buckle itself is just a switch. should be just 2 wires. if the switch is engaged, the seat belt light disengages and the air bag system arms.

BUT, there is a chance they are different, so what you need to do is, seeing as youve got both buckles, is do a visual confirmation that they are the same, checking the 3 things i pointed out.

reading into this with less beer floating round my brain... youre changing the passenger seat too, there are a few other potential problems to look into if you have seat mounted airbags:

seat position switch (this will disarm the airbag if the seat is at full forward position)
passenger occupancy switch (in the seat base, this will disarm the passenger airbag if no occupant or an occupant under 95th percentile i.e. a child)
seat belt buckle (disarms the airbag if not in use)

im not 100% that VE are fitted with all those, but its worth checking. best thing if you can manage it is look at both passenger seats side by side and check that the wiring to the loom plug is the same.

and finally, if the plugs are different or the wiring is different, if all the switches are present, you can modify the plugs easily enough. i cant talk you through it. im 60% sure they will be plug and play though, doesnt make sense for holden to change plugs just for leather/non leather.

Last edited:

Veberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Thanks, I still don't see what the seat belt buckle then has to do with the seat airbag. From looking at it, there's 2 wires running from the buckle into a plug which goes into the car's loom. I don't think the seat belt is wired into the seats airbag system - or is it? I'm thinking of changing the buckle just because my buckles are in better nick but how do you do it, does it wire into the seats airbag system or just straight into the car's loom?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Veberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Thanks for your help mate, sorry if it seems I'm not understanding you but this stuff is new to me and quite confusing.

So looks like the buckle has a light green cable going into the seat position sensor, under the seat. Then 2 other cables going into the SRS / the car's loom? OK. I think i'll just change the buckles to be sure eveyrthing works fine.