Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais-V suspension confusion

dbm4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V V8
I have a MY07 V8 Calais-V with FE2 suspension. I am just about to order a replacement Calais-V (i.e. MY10) but I'm getting conflicting advice from two dealers. One says FE2 has to be specified again while the other says all Calais-V's come with 'sports luxury suspension' which is the same thing. I'm not sure but that sounds like FE1.5 and not the same? Anyone know what the difference is and what stock Calais-V's come with? Thanks.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
they come with fe1.5
fe2 is optiona and needs to be specified

early calais came with FE2 but some people thought it was too hard so they made them FE1.5 as standard which is a sports luxury set up a bit softer in othe words

MacD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0, WH International 5.7, VU SS 5.7
I have a 2008 Ve Calais V which has std suspension FE1.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yep that makes sense,
I have an early 2007 Calais V with FEII

Ride is a little firm for a luxury cruiser, (comparing it to Ford BFII Fairmont Ghias and FG GE Series).
For me though, my previous car was much much worse, so its very livable for me.

(I used to have lowered K-Mac suspension on my old EFII Fairmont Ghia, including springs, shocks, sway bars and camber caster kit) for an old sack of crap with live rear axle, the thing handled like it was on rails, but doing crazy things like running over coins, paper, dust, or tiny pebbles would be dangerous to your spine.

Hence the reason why I am absolutely scared to lower, or change the suspension on my VE.

Last edited:

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
I have a 2008 Ve Calais V which has std suspension FE1.

So you've changed it?

Standard on the Calais V is FE1.5 (except the first MY which had FE2 and LSD standard). Every MY release since the first has had FE1.5 as standard without an LSD.

The option box to tick is FE2 + LSD. If you don't tick it, you'll get FE1.5 and no LSD.

Same goes for Caprice by the way...

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Standard on the Calais V is FE1.5 (except the first MY which had FE2 and LSD standard). Every MY release since the first has had FE1.5 as standard without an LSD.
What's the first MY? I have a Sept 06 Calais V which I thought was the first series/MY and it had no LSD.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
What's the first MY? I have a Sept 06 Calais V which I thought was the first series/MY and it had no LSD.

Nah - pretty sure they were FE2 but no LSD.

MacD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0, WH International 5.7, VU SS 5.7
So you've changed it?

The option box to tick is FE2 + LSD. If you don't tick it, you'll get FE1.5 and no LSD.

Same goes for Caprice by the way...

Yes have change it now, king springs with KYB shockers.
When I asked Holdens about what was on the car they said it was std with FE1 (not FE1.5 they said) with LSD (has STD stamped in engine bay).
Mine is Calais-V 6.0L 2008 my 8.5