Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V8 with High K's..to buy or not?

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
Congrats on your purchase mate! i bought a 2006 6.0 ve calais v with 186k on it log books always serviced runs very well now with 240k on it only thing i have done is replaced belts. im changing oil every 6k i use it as a daily and its still going strong.

SSVRED77

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS V 2007
Don't buy it

140,000+k's no way. That Calais has done far to many k's. Few tricks I've learnt when buying. Wait to buy your dream car at the end of every month. This way if it was a bad month in sales the salesman will be more eager to give you a better price.Never show your excitement to a particular car even though that's the one you want. Snoop around the caryard a bit, look at other cars, even test drive em. That way the dealer won't know which one you really want. If you want a car and you know it's the one, play with him! not in that way but drag out long boring conversations as car dealers try to keep you there for at least an hour to tire you out and so you don't have time looking for all the other vehicles you were gonna look at on the day. Let them know your looking at 4 or 5 other cars on the day. Finally when you make him an offer, give them an offer that is 5,000 under what they want. Don't tell them negative things about the car they're trying to sell you that will just piss them off. It's just business m8 that's all. Last of all if you purchase a car and you pay the dealer and drive out of the car yard and those dealers or the salesman that sold you the car is smiling or happy then you just got ripped!!! big time, if he or she is pissed off or sad or down then you know you just ###### them hard!. Smart salesmen sometimes try to make you think you got a bargain. They're trained in this field and know what they're doing. Last of all ALWAYS make sure you get an independant review of the car, that means emissions check, lift that old girl up on a hoist get professionals to check it out not mechanic bob you m8 that tells you he knows everything there is to know about cars.

oh and I would never buy from a private seller mainly because most people change cars because there's something wrong with it, sometimes their reasons are legit like going overseas or don't need it because they just got a company car.

Many years of buying cars has got me good deals and bad ones to know whats a good deal and what's bad. Research is the key, 6 months of research on the car you want is a decent effort.

Good luck

SSVRED77

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS V 2007
But I really do hope your car runs well. I feel sorry for those people getting ripped off by mechanics with problem after problem

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
My Calais has now done almost 140,000km. Almost like new. Keep well serviced and looked after and these things go forever. Well almost!

Having said that, I did have have high quality suspension fitted at about 50,0000 km.

Also had the very common (and expensive) lifter problem but this seems to be occurring/appearing at anything above 60,000 on many cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My Calais has now done almost 140,000km. Almost like new. Keep well serviced and looked after and these things go forever. Well almost!

Well lets not get carried away. I'd expect the life of a car to be around 300,000 before needing anything big to be replaced in normal operation these days. (outside of normal service items).

Reaper

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Why the thread dig pitty? He bought the car almost two years ago!

On topic mines just clicked over 190k and I wouldnt dream of getting rid of it.

No major repairs and its still on the original clutch (I **** you not).

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Hahaha, we'll I for one didn't look at the dates. Still some interesting comments tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SSVRED77

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS V 2007
lols I did'nt even look at the dates, haha. So how come its up there with the newly released threads?