Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V8 with High K's..to buy or not?

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
Hi

I am looking at a 2007 Calais V8.

I have struck a pretty good deal with the Yard selling it. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet ..and the only thing I am a bit worried about is the fact it has done 148K's..which is a fair bit for the age of the car.

The price reflects this at (24.5K) .These were 50 grand when new and it's a lot of car for the money..if the car drives well and I like it..should I be concerned about the high K's ?

I would appreciated some thoughts

Thanks

ps. I am told it is primarily highway K's

rusty411

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II Sv6 3.6L ute
be careful with yards coz theyll say or do anything to get a sale, i wouldnt believe them when they same primarily highway k's tho it would be nice to believe, when buying a car sometimes it good to take a mate to have an over look coz in the excitement of your new car and deals u may over look somthing and sign to quickly and kick your self, thats alot of k's for a 2007 mate so it might be highway but who knows. but in the end do u wanna buy a car thats gonna be pretty hard to sell in the longer run when u want a different one just my 2 cents mate enjoy ur new car what ever it be :), ( i just bought a new car as well so ik the feeling haha)

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I did find an old thread that was asking about high K cars in general.

Most people seemed to think that as long as the K's aren't radically high..that the maintainenc of the car is more important....

I guess it would be the same with a VE..

Also.. my cars do super low K's..so in a couple of years the K's wouldn't be such an issue....still ..like to know other peoples thoughts...

Thanks

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Depends largely on if the maintenance schedule has been maintained and how the car has been driven. Make sure you go through all the paperwork and ensure that, at minimum, the log book is filled out as per schedule. Ideally, it will have had minor services in between also, that may or may not be notated. Also, with that sort of Kms, be prepared to need to replace things like shock absorbers, steering pumps, etc - and add that into the cost of the vehicle to see where you're sitting.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I'd stay away from it.

Remember that a car that cost $50k when new will still need to be maintained with costs relative to its new price. Also as Snips said, a car with this many kms on it will require many parts to be replaced in the near future. I would say that the car would not drive as well as you may expect a VE Calais to because it has components that have travelled so far.

In the end it is your choice, but be careful when buying cars that are cheap, they are usually cheap for a reason (especially from dealers)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Redbook says -
2007 Holden Calais VE 6.0 auto
Private Price Guide $20,800 - $23,300
Trade In Price Guide $16,600 - $19,100
Average Km 60,000 - 100,000

so, you'd want to discount that for the high K's.

Can you pay a few bucks to REVS or MV Registry to track down previous owner, and ask some questions ?

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Is the car yard giving you warranty, all holden dealers give a 3 year warranty on used cars.
Look on carsales, couple of g extra will get you half the kays, some with mods.