Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V8

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Finally looks good enough to post some pics!

VE Calais 6.0L

What I've done so far
Senator spoiler
19 inch VF Calais wheels

What it had when I got it (when the previous owner bought it new)
Leather seats factory option
HSV spoiler
17 inch standard Calais rims

Future mods
Tinted windows
Lower springs
Extractors and exhaust

I just put those wheels on and I'm actually surprised that they sit fairly well with the FE2 suspension. I am very very tempted to get some King springs off of eBay since they seem to be only about $260 for a set. I've had a look at the lowering thread but I'm still not sure. What does everyone think? I would like to go lower but I don't think it needs much.

Overall I'm really happy about the wheels, I feel it's just enough without going over the top.
Calais1.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Nice shoes.
Those future mods will give it some stance and bark. Can't wait to see your end result.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Thanks! I'm loving it in the moment. Maybe just 1 stage lower than fe2 I think that's ultra low??

Finished? The list gets bigger with everything I do to it lol

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Nice looking ride, I like what you've done with it.
I can't imagine how small those original 17" wheels looked! It's crazy how easily the VE guards just swallow up wheels, I remember when 19's were considered big wheels and they don't look big at all on your car. But then I'm one of those guys who likes big wheels more than comfort. ;)
I reckon you should definitely lower it though. Maybe a little bit more at the back than the front too. I've read people say king springs aren't the best choice though, but I don't know from experience.

Can we get a photo of the back? I wanna see that ass with the spoiler.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Nice looking ride, I like what you've done with it.
I can't imagine how small those original 17" wheels looked! It's crazy how easily the VE guards just swallow up wheels, I remember when 19's were considered big wheels and they don't look big at all on your car. But then I'm one of those guys who likes big wheels more than comfort. ;)
I reckon you should definitely lower it though. Maybe a little bit more at the back than the front too. I've read people say king springs aren't the best choice though, but I don't know from experience.

Can we get a photo of the back? I wanna see that ass with the spoiler.

Calais2.jpg

I can get a proper back view tomorrow if you want. I'm a fan of the bobtail spoiler. It kills me not to have a Holden badge on the back, it just doesn't match having a small Holden badge underneath the spoiler. Best I can do is get the Calais V II lip spoiler and put the series II badge on it. The previous owner had a HSV spoiler on it which was pretty much identical to the SS just with very minor changes. It did get me a nice little HSV compliance plate :) Have to say the previous owners were so good with it. I have never seen leather in such good condition for a used car, it's immaculate.

please do your shocks at the same time as springs and I agree get Ultra lows all round part number are King 150 and 152 from memory

I was thinking the super lows. Which are apparently 370mm from guard to centre cap and my FE2's are 400mm. Apparently the shockers are ok to keep if I only lower it an inch, any more then I will need to do the shocks. Honestly the more research I've done the more confusing it has become, so many different opinions. All I want to do is lower it an inch, I think thats all it needs and that will hopefully keep me from having to worry about a worse ride and scraping. Any ideas are welcome guys, appreciate the comments!

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I was thinking the super lows. Which are apparently 370mm from guard to centre cap and my FE2's are 400mm. Apparently the shockers are ok to keep if I only lower it an inch, any more then I will need to do the shocks. Honestly the more research I've done the more confusing it has become, so many different opinions. All I want to do is lower it an inch, I think thats all it needs and that will hopefully keep me from having to worry about a worse ride and scraping. Any ideas are welcome guys, appreciate the comments!

No its not! The standard shocks dont like lowered springs and fail prematurely. I had SSSL (Ultra's) all round and they were about 370mm front and 360mm rear and the standards shock died and rode HORRIBLY!!! Check out the this thread for spring part numbers and measurements. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/king-springs-ves.152423 and use what ever shock you want.

Here's what I had, berlina shock and stuts with King SSSL and they sucked

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Thanks mate. I've had a fair look at that link. Seems like some different opinions on there. I think I'm going to leave it for a while and see how it goes. Tint next week so that should hold me over for a while :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Spoiler and wheels look great like that colour too