Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais

Heyman_526

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Commodore Lumina
Good morning ladies and gentlemen I was wondering if I can get some help please? I'm looking at potentially looking at buying a VE Calais but I don't know much about them I was just wondering what the pros and cons are a price guide what goes well what doesn't common faults and things like that are they worth purchasing in 2020
Needs to be an auto and lowered preferably
Thank you for your time cheers

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Good morning ladies and gentlemen I was wondering if I can get some help please? I'm looking at potentially looking at buying a VE Calais but I don't know much about them I was just wondering what the pros and cons are a price guide what goes well what doesn't common faults and things like that are they worth purchasing in 2020
Needs to be an auto and lowered preferably
Thank you for your time cheers

:)

Last edited:

Heyman_526

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought my 2008 VE and the only things that I had to fix were a Oxy sensor battery and oil pressure sender.
Read the manual and stick to what it says re oil, coolant and at what intervals
I use fully synthetic oil and she's done 220,000ks
Auto trans fluid/filter is changed every 2 years
Try and get a car with books helps a lot.

Are they coming down in value at all? I've seen regular VEs in my area for like 2k sometimes less

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Not around here but maybe down your way if it was me i would try to find one that has had the timing chains done

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ours has roof mounted dvd. The player is on the fritz. However, it is outdated tech. The kids still enjoyed using it though.

We have a series1 which came with a better suede interior. The door trims are the best of all the years.

Engine wise, V6 have all the same **** going on with them so one is less likely to be better than another.

Look for a V8, you won't be disappointed.

Once bought, do an engine flush and quick successive oil changes for a few cycles. (like 1000-2000k's).
Diff oil change.
Trans service.
New O2's (bosch)
New air filter and cabin filter.

Maybe treat it to a paint correction detail and ceramic coating.

Take a look at doing a aftermarket CarPlay or android auto headunit with the new series 1 HVAC adaptor.

Series 2, radio sounds crap, bluetooth sounds ok. Speakers are good enough, but the headunit isn't as good for sound as the series 1.

Worth getting a wagon, they hold value almost as good as the utes do.
There are Calais V wagons around, V8's even better.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Are you looking for a v6 or v8?
If the one you like has the 6 speed auto check to see if the seals were upgraded. Otherwise you get rough / sloppy changes between 2 and 3. I've got the original seals and just deal with it.
If your looking at s1 check aircon system for any leaks (dye marks will show up) or noise from the bearing.
Otherwise I lovee my international v8. Comfort, luxery, power as good as alot of new cars

Heyman_526

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you looking for a v6 or v8?
If the one you like has the 6 speed auto check to see if the seals were upgraded. Otherwise you get rough / sloppy changes between 2 and 3. I've got the original seals and just deal with it.
If your looking at s1 check aircon system for any leaks (dye marks will show up) or noise from the bearing.
Otherwise I lovee my international v8. Comfort, luxery, power as good as alot of new cars

V6 mate for P's