Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Central Muffler Warranty Issue

fat_boy_tim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
Hi guys,

I was just seeing if anyone else has had this issue or can pass on any advice.

I have a 2010 VE SS, roughly 13,00kms. I had a grinding sound when accelerating so took it in early for the 15k service.

The dealership tested it and believe it is the central muffler that has some scrapes on it and a spot weld or something has broken loose inside. The dealership claims that it isn't covered under warranty as it is due to road damage from speed bumps etc. They don't have any in stock as they are $1k and will only order it in if I am willing to pay to swap it.

Has this issue affected anyone else? The service guy admitted it was a design flaw as the central muffler isn't protected, has no give and it happens to cop cars all the time but is still drivable with just an annoying noise.

Aside from going slower on speed bumps and hoping I don't have to replace this every 15,000 kms, should I fight for a warranty cover on the part, look at after market alternatives or suck it up and pay the money?

Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

T

tommySV6Ute

Hi Tim & welcome.

If its a known issue and as you have such low k's then I'd reckon you should attempt to take it further.

I'd use the information the service guy admitted to in your claim.

Good luck, not sure who to speak to in the next instance, but let them know you are not willing to pay for the repairs to this known problem and you want it sorted.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Impact damage isn't covered under warranty, but it won't hurt to get a second opinion. Speak to a trusted exhaust shop or mechanic and get them to confirm that it's impact damage. If so, then there's not much you can do, but if it isn't take a report back to the dealership and/or call holden customer assistance. Don't go buying a new one though - you can pick up a low km second hand system for $100.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi guys,

I was just seeing if anyone else has had this issue or can pass on any advice.

I have a 2010 VE SS, roughly 13,00kms. I had a grinding sound when accelerating so took it in early for the 15k service.

The dealership tested it and believe it is the central muffler that has some scrapes on it and a spot weld or something has broken loose inside. The dealership claims that it isn't covered under warranty as it is due to road damage from speed bumps etc. They don't have any in stock as they are $1k and will only order it in if I am willing to pay to swap it.

Has this issue affected anyone else? The service guy admitted it was a design flaw as the central muffler isn't protected, has no give and it happens to cop cars all the time but is still drivable with just an annoying noise.

Aside from going slower on speed bumps and hoping I don't have to replace this every 15,000 kms, should I fight for a warranty cover on the part, look at after market alternatives or suck it up and pay the money?

Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem with my last VE. Bottom line = impact damage can cause a baffle to get loose. Run the car into a wall and your chances of getting warranty on the front lights is highly unlikely. Similar deal when you ram the zorst into the ground.

I'd suggest you go slower on speed bumps or chase the people who put them down if they don't comply with the relevant Australian standard for the replacement of your exhaust.

Reaper

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
1k? U can get a complete cat back exhaust for that, I just put a twin 3" exforce on my ve it cost me 690 fitted and has a 3 year warranty. Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
go to an exhaust shop they sometimes have old systems in the bin out the back you might get lucky i mate of mine got a twin 2.5 stainless from a vy clubby and 2 air boxes form one and one had a kn filter in it

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
yeah 1k seems pretty ridiculous, better off doing what was suggested earlier, replace with a second hand one, or buy a new, better system

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
lol, i've got 2 of these systems sitting in the shed and you won't have to part with that much to get one. :)
If you can't get warranty then i'd take the chance and go aftermarket. No way i'd spend that much on a factory system.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
just remove the muffler and put straight pipe in place of the muffler!