Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Changing head unit

akidakix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
I've recently enquired at a few places to try and replace the original head unit in my VE, apparently it is near on impossible to do so, now the only thing I've come across is http://www.streetsoundvision.com.au/2011/05/26/ve-commodore-dash-facia-kit/
I'm definitely interested in installing this unit but I haven't come across anyone who has it.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this unit or know of anyone who has one that can expand a little further on the system itself?

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
I think you'll find that most large car audio stores can supply and fit that type of setup these days. Probably worth ringing around, getting them to compete for your business, and get a good price.

akidakix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Is it that specific unit I need that needs to be installed? Or can I pick and choose what I want?

Some price listings I've found for that unit starts from about 600~ all the way to 2500~ I'm unsure if the massive price difference is because ones just the unit and the other is unit+installation.

I spoke to an audio guy at jbhifi and he seemed pretty confident that I would be hard pressed to find someone to install it, unless of course I went to an auto elec who was confident in installing a system which would of course cost a fair price.

I'd be willing to spend 2k~ on the unit but I have no idea how good the actual alpine head unit is.

Kenny23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Is it that specific unit I need that needs to be installed? Or can I pick and choose what I want?

Some price listings I've found for that unit starts from about 600~ all the way to 2500~ I'm unsure if the massive price difference is because ones just the unit and the other is unit+installation.

I spoke to an audio guy at jbhifi and he seemed pretty confident that I would be hard pressed to find someone to install it, unless of course I went to an auto elec who was confident in installing a system which would of course cost a fair price.

I'd be willing to spend 2k~ on the unit but I have no idea how good the actual alpine head unit is.

I have this exact unit on my ve ss. Got it installed by Alberts Car Stereo.
You can buy the fascia itself without the headunit for approx $750 and you can combine it with any aftermarket dvd headunit. I got the full package (fascia and alpine stereo) for $2500 and the headunit is extremely good. I also had a custom alpine logo integrated into the fascia.
I've just recently upgraded the fascia and aircon controls to the latest alpine model that is full touch screen. If u're interested, i can sell u the original fascia with the custom alpine logo. Cheers.