Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE check oil light

Beaubo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
I had this problem too recently and the check oil light only came on as soon as it hit 0% so that indicated to me it needed changing so dropped the oil and new filter in and still at 0% and light still comes on yet I had allready reset the service reminder, so it's solely the percentage I think but I think u need a diagnostic tool to reset it, not sure

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
get a ELM327 blue tooth OBD2 dongle from ebay, $10, and download OBD2 app on your smart phone (android only, as Apple sucks! they don't have full BT protocol, they only can support hands free!) for free. You can check your error codes and what it is, and reset too.

If it is oil pressure, I would start by changing the oil pressure switch, if still no good, then get it tested for actual oil pressure, otherwise it can be a stuck oil pump. Refer to this post: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...06-2013/174932-no-oil-pressure-6-0l-v8-2.html

goodie78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 304 / VE SS Manual LPG
I recently got the wifey's VE SS put on LPG, and got a check oil caution on the dash display (didn't see if the inication light came on though).
Luck happens the plug at the top rear of the engine wasn't quite seated properly. The guys where I had the conversion done said they had a problem with like this with a VE in the past and it was the sensor in the sump. Yep, there is one there too and apparently can be quie costly to replaced (labour cost mainly). They did say this problem can be difficult to troubleshoot

Skugs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 ve series 1
Hey guys, just had the same problem with the check oil light.. so I drained them topped up oil with new filter and new pressure switch/sender. Any ideas why the check oil warning is popping up intermittently again? And how can I fix it?

05Snapper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
so rescently my check oil light has been coming on........ had oil changed at last service... so i thought i should check the dicstick all good levels oil is relatevely clean........

so then ran car in engeneering mode. checked oil life thingo is at 12 perccent...... would that be a problem? how do i reset it?
I’ve got same problem & I’ve changed sensors & switch twice I even changed oil pump & check oil light still comes on checked pressure & it’s fine so next step will be cam package with new piston & rings

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I seriously would NOT ignore this light.. best to at least get the oil pressure tested first (could be as small as a faulty sensor or it could actually be low in oil pressure) worst case scenario running a car on low oil pressure can do severe damage and potentially seize the engine.

Very True,

I recently assisted to replace a LFX in a 2012 VE [with a relative] for the Very same Reason,
In this case No Oil light came on, and the engine was seized.
10 hours to CAREFULY remove the seized engine, with the Torque converted connected,
5 hours to install the replacement engine and get it fired up.
Very stressful job.
Also very Expensive !

The above hours, did not take into account locating as replacement LFX engine.
Not a job I would do everyday.