Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaneeex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 SV6
Righto Lads this thread is aimed at guiding you to replace your own clockspring. This was done on my VE SERIES 2 which had a damaged clockspring causing the steering wheel controls to malfunction while turning the wheel. I managed to bag a second hand clockspring from a wreckers for $100.

To start of disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and/or airbag fuse found under the hood.

Use a flat head screw driver and insert it into each hole found when rotating the steering wheel 90° to the left and to the right. When insterting the flat head twist it and push down towards the steering column to remove the airbag from the streering wheel.

Once popped off unclip the two connectors and the black (ground im asuming) connector. Remove the white plastic connector for the steering wheel controls.

Use a T50 torx bit and undo the bolt a bit leaving it still on the thread. No pull the streering wheel towards yourself till it comes loose and travels freely along the spline.

Remove the bolt and the steering wheel, then remove the trim underneath the tacho (long peice)

Then remove the trim located around the steering column the top peice will pop off easily. The bottome peice is held in by one phillips head screw driver, once removed force down and pull towards the rear of the vehicle. (Maybe different on series 1)

Now remove the platic tray peice that is fitted above the driver's side footwell. Its held in by 8 clips by memory. Gentle pry each side and remove the peice. Make sure to disconnect the headlight controls.

Now follow the wires that lead from the clockspring to its other counterpart. Disconnect both connectors.

On the clockspring surround (white part) you'll find two torx screws. (T5 if i remember correctly)
Simply unscrew them and remove the clockspring by pulling towards the rear of the vehicle and your clocksprings out.

To allign the clockspring:
Don't know if this is the right method but it worked for me.
Rotate the clockspring all the way to the right (clockwise) side. Notice that it will stop 3/4 turn. No simply rotate the clockspring back 3/4, followed by another 2 full rotations. This will allow it to be centred as it is able to turn 2 & 3/4 to the right aswell as 3 turns towards the left (anti-clockwise) side. This allows for the clockspring to spin without any internal damage occuring as the steering wheel only spins 1 & 1/2 rotations to each direction.
No simply replace the clockspring with the old one and follow the steps in reverse to clean everything up.

Any questions? Let me know.

Hope this helps
-Shane
2011 MY2012 Holden Commodore SV6 VE SERIES 2 3.6L LFX.

Last edited:

SV6WGN

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SPORTWAGON
I did the clockspring on the wife's 08 SV6.... just a note... i figured center would be where it should sit too but I ended up with a ESP fault as the steering angle sensor was way out! I ended up plugging in my scan tool and rotating the clockspring untill i saw 0 degrees angle... fitted the steering wheel and all was well ;0

Shaneeex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 SV6
I did the clockspring on the wife's 08 SV6.... just a note... i figured center would be where it should sit too but I ended up with a ESP fault as the steering angle sensor was way out! I ended up plugging in my scan tool and rotating the clockspring untill i saw 0 degrees angle... fitted the steering wheel and all was well ;0
Might be for series 1 VEs, but thanks for the tip.