Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodore alternator whine

Jackson928

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
I have recently upgraded my head unit and speakers in my 2010 Commodore SS (from a professional). No amp was installed and I am getting engine noise through the speakers.
I go back to them saying there is engine noise but they are blaming other things other than themselves e.g. saying the alternator needs a better ground, VE have bad factory ground etc.
They said they pulled out my deck and the noise is still happening.
I believe they are trying to give me the run around.

Keeping in mind when everything was stock there was no engine noise.

Any thoughts?

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Look up EMI filter...
Had noise through my stereo when light bar was on...
Two EMI filters eliminated the static....( electronic magnetic field)...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Was it making a hum from day dot of the install or did it start to occur some time later?

If these professionals haven’t already asked, the installers first question should have been have you changed anything electrical since the install (globes, modules, etc) or added any new gear since the install?

But I’d doesn’t sound very professional for someone who installs audio gear for a living not to understand that if it didn’t hum before, newly induced hum would be related to new wiring they’ve added (if any) and/or lacking or poorer power filtering and/or poorer internal earthing within the replacement head unit as compared to the factory unit...

These professionals should have added some filtering to the incoming power feed and/or to typical noise sources within a VE... (and I’ve got a feeling there is another thread on VE hum issues where a solution was found, just can’t remember the details so a search may be fruitful) :p

Jackson928

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Was it making a hum from day dot of the install or did it start to occur some time later?

If these professionals haven’t already asked, the installers first question should have been have you changed anything electrical since the install (globes, modules, etc) or added any new gear since the install?

But I’d doesn’t sound very professional for someone who installs audio gear for a living not to understand that if it didn’t hum before, newly induced hum would be related to new wiring they’ve added (if any) and/or lacking or poorer power filtering and/or poorer internal earthing within the replacement head unit as compared to the factory unit...

These professionals should have added some filtering to the incoming power feed and/or to typical noise sources within a VE... (and I’ve got a feeling there is another thread on VE hum issues where a solution was found, just can’t remember the details so a search may be fruitful) :p
Yeah the noise occured right after the install. Everything was stock before then including gloves etc.
The thing is though is that I paid for it to be done correctly so I don't have to do it myself. I'll see if I can search up this solution you're talking about. I just find it annoying I paid for a service that isn't done correctly

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the noise occured right after the install. Everything was stock before then including gloves etc.
The thing is though is that I paid for it to be done correctly so I don't have to do it myself. I'll see if I can search up this solution you're talking about. I just find it annoying I paid for a service that isn't done correctly
A business should know their Australian Consumer Law obligations which as of 9th June 2019 requires specific wording be used with the warranty they must provide against defects in relation to their services or services bundled together with goods. For goods and services bundled together, ACL requires the following wording:

‘Our goods and services come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. For major failures with the service, you are entitled:

– to cancel your service contract with us; and
– to a refund for the unused portion, or to compensation for its reduced value.

You are also entitled to choose a refund or replacement for major failures with goods. If a failure with the goods or a service does not amount to a major failure, you are entitled to have the failure rectified in a reasonable time. If this is not done you are entitled to a refund for the goods and to cancel the contract for the service and obtain a refund of any unused portion. You are also entitled to be compensated for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage from a failure in the goods or service.’

The prescribed wording must be used in any and all documents that state a warranty against defects for goods, services or goods and services together.

So just politely remind these professionals that they are required to fix the hum in a reasonable time frame, else you have the above rights for refund and compensation under ACL which they failed to notify you of as required by law.

Maybe then these professionals will spend a little more effort to sort the issue at their cost and won’t give up so easily this time (else you’ll want a refund)...

Still, do research those other threads as it may help you understand hum issues so you’ll be able to recognise bullshite if they start talking it...

Good luck.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A business should know their Australian Consumer Law obligations which as of 9th June 2019 requires specific wording be used with the warranty they must provide against defects in relation to their services or services bundled together with goods. For goods and services bundled together, ACL requires the following wording:

‘Our goods and services come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. For major failures with the service, you are entitled:

– to cancel your service contract with us; and
– to a refund for the unused portion, or to compensation for its reduced value.

You are also entitled to choose a refund or replacement for major failures with goods. If a failure with the goods or a service does not amount to a major failure, you are entitled to have the failure rectified in a reasonable time. If this is not done you are entitled to a refund for the goods and to cancel the contract for the service and obtain a refund of any unused portion. You are also entitled to be compensated for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage from a failure in the goods or service.’

The prescribed wording must be used in any and all documents that state a warranty against defects for goods, services or goods and services together.

So just politely remind these professionals that they are required to fix the hum in a reasonable time frame, else you have the above rights for refund and compensation under ACL which they failed to notify you of as required by law.

Maybe then these professionals will spend a little more effort to sort the issue at their cost and won’t give up so easily this time (else you’ll want a refund)...

Still, do research those other threads as it may help you understand hum issues so you’ll be able to recognise bullshite if they start talking it...

Good luck.

Problems here are, there isn't going to be a failure of the unit....It just has an annoying noise....

2ndly...About the only way to prove the noise wasn't there prior to fitting the new unit is if there is dash cam footage, with sound, with the old unit fitted....Otherwise it's a he says she says scenario.

So really this won't serve any purpose....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Problems here are, there isn't going to be a failure of the unit....It just has an annoying noise....

2ndly...About the only way to prove the noise wasn't there prior to fitting the new unit is if there is dash cam footage, with sound, with the old unit fitted....Otherwise it's a he says she says scenario.

So really this won't serve any purpose....
Seriously, are you saying a professionally installed head unit and speakers, which people purchase primarily for better sound quality than the standard system, isn’t defective if it hums :eek:

As is, a professional installation services should asses the old system and wiring before they even start to install a new system. If there was any existing hum, then the correct strategy for any professional would be for them to say to the owner that some filters or extra work to locate the source of hum would be required at extra cost... not to ignore hum and then say it was preexisting.

It’s not too different to a NCAT case I posted quite some time ago where a mechanic did some work to a car and it burnt to the ground due to an oil leak not related to his work. But the judge decided as a professional he had an obligation to identify and discuss the issue and risk with the owner which he did not and thus the judge found him liable for the vehicle‘s fire damage...

But you are of course free to think what you want about poor service and who’s responsible...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Seriously, are you saying a professionally installed head unit and speakers, which people purchase primarily for better sound quality than the standard system, isn’t defective if it hums :eek:

As is, a professional installation services should asses the old system and wiring before they even start to install a new system. If there was any existing hum, then the correct strategy for any professional would be for them to say to the owner that some filters or extra work to locate the source of hum would be required at extra cost... not to ignore hum and then say it was preexisting.

It’s not too different to a NCAT case I posted quite some time ago where a mechanic did some work to a car and it burnt to the ground due to an oil leak not related to his work. But the judge decided as a professional he had an obligation to identify and discuss the issue and risk with the owner which he did not and thus the judge found him liable for the vehicle‘s fire damage...

But you are of course free to think what you want about poor service and who’s responsible...

Not saying their work wasn't top notch...I simply pointed out that it isn't going to cause any failures...If it did, my stereo in my VC would have failed by now, possibly causing the car to burn to the ground considering it was done over 12 months ago....And what you posted up refers to failures....

And it is near impossible to prove that it didn't humm before the install. It'd be like me blaming you for scratching my paint work on the drivers door when you grabbed the paper work off my centre console....You will claim you couldn't have because you don't know me, yet I insist I saw you do it with your key when you opened the door....a he said she said scenario with no concrete proof....

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@vc commodore, a failure doesn’t just have to be when something breaks... and yes, in this case the head unit and speakers won’t break but but it’s a failure (defect) of the provided service...

In this case, nobody in their right mind would think hum is ok in a new sound system so the defect is that the install wasn’t performed with “due care and skill” as required under ACL.

If the service was performed with due care and skill, then either the installer would have called the owner mentioned the issue and any extra costs to resolve it or he’d have corrected the issue if it occurred post install... The installer tried and failed to fix the hum so his knowledge of such issues are probably lacking or he doesn’t want to carry the cost...

The OP clearly stated the hum occurred from day dot of the install but any quality installer would have rectified the issue before delivery...

Civil cases don’t require proof beyond reasonable doubt so one doesn’t need concrete proof. And in this instance, the fact the installer tried to fix the issue and failed doesn’t work in the installers favour.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vc commodore, a failure doesn’t just have to be when something breaks... and yes, in this case the head unit and speakers won’t break but but it’s a failure (defect) of the provided service...

In this case, nobody in their right mind would think hum is ok in a new sound system so the defect is that the install wasn’t performed with “due care and skill” as required under ACL.

If the service was performed with due care and skill, then either the installer would have called the owner mentioned the issue and any extra costs to resolve it or he’d have corrected the issue if it occurred post install... The installer tried and failed to fix the hum so his knowledge of such issues are probably lacking or he doesn’t want to carry the cost...

The OP clearly stated the hum occurred from day dot of the install but any quality installer would have rectified the issue before delivery...

Civil cases don’t require proof beyond reasonable doubt so one doesn’t need concrete proof. And in this instance, the fact the installer tried to fix the issue and failed doesn’t work in the installers favour.

Don't recall seeing the installer trying to fix the issue...Just stated the possibilities...It doesn't even appear as though the OP has taken them up on the possibilities suggested...Only jumped on here with the problem and asking if he is getting stuffed around

With the humming....The only proof is one persons word against the other, unless there is dashcam sound with the original system...

For what it is worth....I'm in agreeance the Op hasn't been treated right, but at the end of the day, it's one persons word against the next....And if one person can win a case based on this scenario, how many other cases can be won by telling a little lie? (I'm not insinuating that the OP is lying either).....