Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore engine mount replacement

Deane Pook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International
Hi,
Has anyone had to replace the engine mounts on a VE commodore?
Looking for advice on how to tackle the job.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Give yourself plenty of room underneath.
Jack up the car and support it on stands. Put the wheels under the forward rocker panels (Just incase)
Remove the wheel well trims.
The mounts can be reached from underneath easy enough.
The tops of them, not so easy.

You'll need something to support the weight of the engine. A jack will be fine if you can get one to go high enough.

Don't let the motor go back into the firewall, fuel lines can get squashed and wiring as well.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Yeah I've done mine.

Firstly Get good quality engine mounts like GM or Mackay or Kelpro

Some people might recommend you lower the sub frame but it's not necessary. You could also remove the wiper cowl to able to lift the Engine higher but also not entirely necessary.

I agree with Fu Manchu but didn't remove the wheel wells when I did mine but definitely would make it easier.

For the passenger side, I found the best way to access the nut on the top of the mount is with a bendy 3/8" rachet with a normal length 18mm socket

And the driver side I found that a regular 3/8" rachet and normal length 18mm socket

It's all about finding the right angle with the socket.

Also I recommend removing the power steering fluid reservoir from its bracket as there's potential for it to break if you lift the engine too high

If you have time on your hands, you could remove both catalytic converters to give you even more room to access the top nut

Deane Pook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International
Thanks for that. Am I able to Jack the engine high enough to clear the bolts on the mounts? Also do I need to remove the lower nuts on both sides to be able to raise the engine as I’m only changing the left side just now. Thanks so much, you have been a great help.

Last edited:

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
I highly recommend you change both but this is entirely up to you.

Either way I would remove the bottom nuts on both sides even if you're only changing one.

You should have enough clearance without having to lower the subframe. Once the Engine touches the wiper cowl and can keep going a bit higher in a controlled manner of course.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The job sucks, so do both once rather than the whole thing again for shts and giggles.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's a painful job because of the limited access so you really want a good set of tools for this. If removing the plastic guard lining makes the access easier then do it. The top nuts on mine were super tight so I ended up using a rattle gun from the top which wasn't easy either!

Deane Pook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International
Yeah I've done mine.

Firstly Get good quality engine mounts like GM or Mackay or Kelpro

Some people might recommend you lower the sub frame but it's not necessary. You could also remove the wiper cowl to able to lift the Engine higher but also not entirely necessary.

I agree with Fu Manchu but didn't remove the wheel wells when I did mine but definitely would make it easier.

For the passenger side, I found the best way to access the nut on the top of the mount is with a bendy 3/8" rachet with a normal length 18mm socket

And the driver side I found that a regular 3/8" rachet and normal length 18mm socket

It's all about finding the right angle with the socket.

Also I recommend removing the power steering fluid reservoir from its bracket as there's potential for it to break if you lift the engine too high

If you have time on your hands, you could remove both catalytic converters to give you even more room to access the top nut
It's a painful job because of the limited access so you really want a good set of tools for this. If removing the plastic guard lining makes the access easier then do it. The top nuts on mine were super tight so I ended up using a rattle gun from the top which wasn't easy either!
The job sucks, so do both once rather than the whole thing again for shts and giggles.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You know what would be good to use. Just thought a pool noodle or two shoved down between the firewall and the back of the motor would help protect the fuel lines, wiring and firewall. They are cheap and dense enough to do the job. Might help. Might also just make the neighbours kid cry because don’t wreck your pool noodle to do this.