Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve commodore ESP

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
eh. ill just stick to no skids.. works out cheaper in all aspects..

DynoVE

DVSVE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
any idea what may cause a loud vibration-like noise coming from the front wheels when my car 'decides to kick its rear out' when traction is turned off ?

scott_90

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS COMMODORE
thanks jasonsv6 :clap: has any one found out if u get a quicker start off the line with it on or off because i haven't noticed much difference with it on or off
i do know it has saved my gf in the wet once or twice lol

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
i think with esp on its slower as it stopps acceleration on take off when wheel spinning.... id rather control the car myself...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
[QW-11-KE];1748707 said:
i think with esp on its slower as it stopps acceleration on take off when wheel spinning.... id rather control the car myself...

i get what you are saying, but there's no way you could accelerate faster than with traction control on.
other than for safety, a computer working out exactly how much torque should go to the rubber before loosing too much traction is going to be much faster in making those adjustments than you would be feathering the throttle. by the time you step off the gas to regain traction, the computer has already done that for you a couple of hundred times.

of course, it's more FUN to control it yourself instead of just mashing the pedal.... but in terms of performance, traction control is still king. all race cars dont have it just for show- it works ;).

traction gives you acceleration.... loss of traction gives you hardons :).

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
You can't turn ESP off. All you can do is turn off the traction control part of it.

ESP stands for 'Electronic Stability Program', which is a suite of features bonded together by software to enhance car maneuverability in certain driving conditions. You can turn off the program - when you press the button, the traction control element is disabled (the intended purpose of a means of disabling this is for situations where slip is required, such as being bogged). Therefore, with a critical element of ESP out of service, the 'program' is no longer complete. So, ESP per se can be disabled - if the driver hits the button, they're left with ABS and EBD etc. But the stability control aspect is gone - as clearly evidenced by the video link in post 3...

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Probably easier to just leave it on than trying to explain to the insurance company why your car has kicked sideways hit a gutter and barrel round over granny's fence and landed on her nice new Hyundai I20!
But still interesting to hear how the magical boxes in my car work.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
i get what you are saying, but there's no way you could accelerate faster than with traction control on.
other than for safety, a computer working out exactly how much torque should go to the rubber before loosing too much traction is going to be much faster in making those adjustments than you would be feathering the throttle. by the time you step off the gas to regain traction, the computer has already done that for you a couple of hundred times.

of course, it's more FUN to control it yourself instead of just mashing the pedal.... but in terms of performance, traction control is still king. all race cars dont have it just for show- it works ;).

traction gives you acceleration.... loss of traction gives you hardons :).

Technically, you could get a better start with it off, but you'd need to have complete control over the car. The ESP is a reactive system, as in, waits until it detects slip to kick in and cuts the power - but usually cuts slightly more power than necessary to ensure traction. Launch control, on the other hand, is proactive and is generally set at a pre-determined level (some systems adapt over a number of starts) so rather than cutting power, it dishes out just enough to get maximum power down with minimal slip.

But you're right in that the vast majority will do better with it switched on.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
when your motor is tuned esp is just a novelty well it is for me lol, it comes on when i let rip unless of course ive switched it off but cant handle whats going thru the back wheels so has a brain fart and goes off when i button off

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Technically, you could get a better start with it off, but you'd need to have complete control over the car. The ESP is a reactive system, as in, waits until it detects slip to kick in and cuts the power - but usually cuts slightly more power than necessary to ensure traction. Launch control, on the other hand, is proactive and is generally set at a pre-determined level (some systems adapt over a number of starts) so rather than cutting power, it dishes out just enough to get maximum power down with minimal slip.

But you're right in that the vast majority will do better with it switched on.

Good point Tin... I was thinking about launch control specifically youre right, and no doubt factory setup would be very timid and cut more power than necessary to get things under control again. Whilst it would react quicker, HOW MUCH it reacts is the real question... who here is gunna test it and report back to us?? :)

Disclaimer: crash your car at your folly. you should never follow internet suggestions to drive recklessly in the name of 'science' whilst disabling car safety features- unless of course you do it in a controlled environment like a skid pan or something, in which case.... video evidence would be very much appreciated :driving:.

Last edited: