Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore fault code P0641

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
Hello all. I have a 2011 VE commodore with 160 ks on it. Regularly serviced and well looked after. Over the last month the engine light intermittently comes on and the fault code of P0641 is present. The car once went into limp mode. I took it to Holden today and basically they found a stored code of P0641 but can’t tell me what the issue is. Cleared code and found no faults present. Cost $150. Driving the car home and the engine light has come back on. Any ideas? I’m worried there’s an issue with the. cam shaft / timing chain. The bloke at Holden said it’s possible is a reflector wheel (one of 5 possible issues) and if that’s the case it’s apparently a new engine. I’d love to hear from anyone whose experienced a similar issued. Thanks.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The engine control module (ECM) has three 5-volt reference circuits. The ECM provides the 5-volt reference to various sensors. Each reference circuit provides a 5-volt reference for greater than one sensor. An open, short to ground, or short voltage on one of the 5-volt reference circuits can affect
all the components connected to that 5-volt reference circuit. The ECM monitors the voltage on the 5-volt reference circuits.

DTC P0641 is for a problem with the The 5-volt reference 1 circuit that provides 5 volts to the following sensors:
- Fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor terminal C, if equipped
- Engine oil pressure (EOP) sensor terminal B

Refer to the attached PDF for more information.

Attachments

• DTC P0641-P0643, P0651-P0653, or P0697-P0699 (ECM DTC).pdf
    271.5 KB · Views: 567

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
Thanks mate. I really appreciate the info. In your experience, does that fault code indicate an issue with the cam shaft / reflector wheel / timing chain or is it more likely to be a faulty fuel tank or oil pressure sensor issue?

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
The engine control module (ECM) has three 5-volt reference circuits. The ECM provides the 5-volt reference to various sensors. Each reference circuit provides a 5-volt reference for greater than one sensor. An open, short to ground, or short voltage on one of the 5-volt reference circuits can affect
all the components connected to that 5-volt reference circuit. The ECM monitors the voltage on the 5-volt reference circuits.

DTC P0641 is for a problem with the The 5-volt reference 1 circuit that provides 5 volts to the following sensors:
- Fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor terminal C, if equipped
- Engine oil pressure (EOP) sensor terminal B

Refer to the attached PDF for more information.

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
Sorry mate I can’t find the PDF that you mentioned. Was it attached? I’m new to the forum (,first post) but am keen for any info. B

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Oops, there now. How old is your battery?

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
Atleast 5 years old. Probably older than that. My mechanic checked it and said it was at the right voltage. Do you reckon that might be a possible cause?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Atleast 5 years old. Probably older than that. My mechanic checked it and said it was at the right voltage. Do you reckon that might be a possible cause?
Old batteries in VE's can cause multiple problems, get a decent load check carried out on your battery or replace it.

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
Old batteries in VE's can cause multiple problems, get a decent load check carried out on your battery or replace it.
Hello mate. I put a new battery in it today. A 660 CA. Engine Light had been off for 2 day. Just came back on. So I can cross the battery off the list. It was an old battery in it anyway so it was due for replacement. The frustration continues !!!