Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

*****VE COMMODORE***** (First Pics! Comp Edited)

R

RKZ234

malafunkshun said:
For anyone interested, here's the link to the Chevy Optra stuff. It is a re-badged Daewoo Nubira. Since GM bought out the ailing Daewoo company, I guess they are trying to get mileage out of it somehow. This car would have trouble pulling the skin off a custard, like any front-drive rice burner. I can't stand them. Give me a GenIV LS2 6.0L in a VE SS (I wish).

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?pagename=http://www.indiacar.com/roadtest/optra_a/

What an attrocious piece of marketing based journalism. According to the author, this car is considered to be a rival of the Toyota Corolla! As if!!!! Some journo's will write anything to get published!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
It is a rival of the Corolla............ infact that's why Holden's releasing the car in Australia... to fight the Corolla...

R

RKZ234

In other words, the Corolla is VERY SAFE if that's going to be Holden's effort at competition. A Nubira with a 1.8! :my:

And here I was thinking the Astra was a great little Corolla competitor already.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
The Viva isn't a Nubira either. It's a completely new car (sort of). It's a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti. The Lacetti was only sold here for just over a year until Daewoo **** itself in Australia. Denny Mooney (Holden boss/********) had promised that the base model will start at only $18k, which is roughly a $3k advantage over the Corolla. Another thing is that the Viva uses Holden's Family II four cylinder engine (90kW 1.8). The new Astra is too heavy for this engine (it's 100kg heavier than the Astra Classic), but the Viva only weighs 'bout the same as the Astra Classic, so the Viva will be more fuel efficient. My personal opinion is that the Corolla is boring, uncomfortable, dated and driving one makes you look like either an old fart or a "fully sik" Leb. The Viva, however, is a fresh, good-looking and adequately powered car and I'd consider buying one... and I'm not saying this 'cause it's Holden.

R

RKZ234

A mate's wife has a manual Lacetti & hates it. It was OK to drive around the block with a salesman for 5 mins. She regularly drives it on the hwy and says it's a piece of junk. The interior build fit and finish quality is terrible. There are bits breaking all the time, interior warping and little cracks are apearing in plastic presumably from the Northern NSW sun and there are squeaks everywhwere.

I've driven it a few times to take the kids to school and thought it was ok in the 60 zones to drive, but haven't driven it on the hwy. I did notice that the interior had all sorts of noises coming from it, so on that basis I'd hate to see one after 12 month of dirt roads!

H

Hsv_008

Torana said:
The Viva isn't a Nubira either. It's a completely new car (sort of). It's a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti. The Lacetti was only sold here for just over a year until Daewoo **** itself in Australia. Denny Mooney (Holden boss/********) had promised that the base model will start at only $18k, which is roughly a $3k advantage over the Corolla. Another thing is that the Viva uses Holden's Family II four cylinder engine (90kW 1.8). The new Astra is too heavy for this engine (it's 100kg heavier than the Astra Classic), but the Viva only weighs 'bout the same as the Astra Classic, so the Viva will be more fuel efficient. My personal opinion is that the Corolla is boring, uncomfortable, dated and driving one makes you look like either an old fart or a "fully sik" Leb. The Viva, however, is a fresh, good-looking and adequately powered car and I'd consider buying one... and I'm not saying this 'cause it's Holden.

HAHAHA, Where the F**K have u Been?? THE VIVA is a DAEWOO Lanos, this is not a completely new car & most definately doesnt look anythin like a SHi**Y Daewoo Lacetti. Barina is being basically demolished with its new skin as a DAEWOO KALOS! GOD DAMN! Ford looking better and better Holdens going in the wrong direction... dont even get me started on "GoOD-LooKinG" :drink:
Yer its a HOLDEN but why buy New go and get urself a Lanos and Rebadge it urself just like holden has done... www.Ebay.com.au
The new AStrA Hatch Looks Mad thats good for draggin of the FoCuS,

R

RKZ234

Hsv_008 said:
HAHAHA, Where the F**K have u Been?? THE VIVA is a DAEWOO Lanos, this is not a completely new car & most definately doesnt look anythin like a SHi**Y Daewoo Lacetti. Barina is being basically demolished with its new skin as a DAEWOO KALOS! GOD DAMN! Ford looking better and better Holdens going in the wrong direction... dont even get me started on "GoOD-LooKinG" :drink:
Yer its a HOLDEN but why buy New go and get urself a Lanos and Rebadge it urself just like holden has done... www.Ebay.com.au

I'm with you HSV_008. I thought the Viva was a rebadged Lanos too and the Barina is going to be a rebadged Daewoo Kalos.

It's scary, sad (as well as naive and arrogant of Holden) to think that the future of Holden's small car motoring in Australia centres around and hinges on dragging out and rebadging a pair of previous failures from the history books. Surely these two unrefined agricultural pieces of crap don't deserve a Holden badge?

Or do they. Maybe Holden's future direction as a manufacturer actually involves rebadging crap and allowing quality standards to progressively erode.

Vehicle importers like Toyota must be doing cartwheels with joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
Hsv_008 said:

I haven't gone anywhere mate. I've been in Sydney all along mate :yeah: . For starters... THE VIVA IS NOT A ****ING DAEWOO LANOS!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti. Compare a Viva Sedan to a Lacetti and you'll see. My godfather owns a Daewoo Lanos IN THE 5-DOOR HATCH BODYSTYLE so I think I'd know what the shitbox looks like when I see one. The arse end of the Viva DOES resemble the Lanos but it's not it. Further proof that it's not a Lanos is that DAEWOO DOESN'T EVEN BUILD THEM ANYMORE, they REPLACED it with the Kalos, which is what we're getting as the Barina... unfortunately. Also, Daewoo never built a wagon version of the Lanos so how do you explain that?

Also I would like to say that I saw a Viva in the flesh today and I must say I DON'T like the Viva now... I sat in the driver's seat and I felt vulnerable. It is very tinny inside and outside. I must say I don't like the look of the arse end of it either (wagon). I approached it from a fair distance and side on I thought it was a Honda MDX (Canadian-built 4WD shitbox). The tail lights are spitting image of the MDX ones and the rear of the car is pretty tall, which I think could be dangerous.

Now, could we all please stop talking 'bout the Daewoo Lanos and Holden Viva, and start talking about the VE Commodore which is what the thread is based on and people actually give a **** about? The Holden Viva is not a Daewoo Lanos - case closed.

H

Hsv_008

Clearly it does say www.CHEVROLET.co.UK this is not an Australian site and it is CLEARLY, NOT 'HOLDEN'. Belive it or not but the cars you are looking at are overseas cars and they are Rebadged in australia...
When i was talking about the Astra and Focus and i was trying to change the sound of how i was talking. The Lacetti was a new model which took over the existing name of 'Nubira' correct me if im wrong?!
Daewoo never built a wagon version because they had other models which covered that area, A lanos is a small car and they obviosly wanted to keep it a small car... People were stupid enough to buy one thinkin they have a great car but they didnt see the resale coming did they?

GET UR FACTS STRAIGHT!! :ranting:
What does everyone else think? PLZ POST!

Last edited by a moderator: