Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Fuel Consumtion Meter

buj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Hi all
Just wanted to know how the fuel consumption is metered when the its worked out by the computer?
Is there a flow meter?
Does the computer know how much fuel is going through by the throttle opening of the fuel injectors and thereby knows a volumetric rate?
How is this calibrated?
So far all the holden people i have spoken to haven't been able to give me a technical answer.
Cheers

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
There is a link below regarding your question. If you are not keen to read the whole article, then I have quoted the main part for you;

"Instant mpg displays give drivers the exact miles per gallon they're getting at that very moment. The devices have sensors that take into account the car's engine speed (how hard the engine is working), the fuel-flow rate, manifold pressure and throttle position. Those numbers are fed into the display's computer, which sorts and calculates the information into an instant mpg result, so a driver can see exactly how much fuel he or she is using at any given point."

**mpg is abbreviation for miles per gallon**

HowStuffWorks "How Instant MPG Readout Works"