Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve commodore heater makes radio search channels?

chris knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
hi i have a VE commodore and since the cold weather starting and have been using the heater but when I turn it up the radio starts searching through the channels until you press a heap of buttons... :/.... anyone experience this or could know roughly what it could be? ive taken it out and back in couple of times and still nothing.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Could be the clock spring, might just be a coincidence that it happens when you change the heater :p

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There aren't any heater settings on the steering wheel that I know so I guess there is a problem with your head unit in the dash somewhere or even an issue with the BCM. Google it and see if other people have had the same issue.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Could be as simple as dust being made conductive by condensation when you turn up the heater. Take the head unit out and remove the case and use low pressure air to give it a good clean particularly around the controls.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Could be a bad earth behind the Dash ?,
Because the Radio, and Heater Controls are within/behind the same dash panel.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Series one or two?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Super easy to get the facia of the radio/cd/HVAC off.
Just unclips.
Get one of those cans of compressed air from Jaycar.

Haven't got one apart before but I have pulled the series 2 apart. Mostly some small screws. A few delicate ribbon cables

Be careful, be gentle. Blow it out with the air.

Might be a good idea to pull the trim panels off the sides (no screws, just clips) and inspect the wiring. The wiring on drivers side sits close to the metal frame of the instrument pad assembly. Inspect for anything obvious.

I would expect the fault to be most likely in the facia.

They can be replaced as best I know (still trying to find out if the series two can be swapped with out reflashing the unit)

If the fault isn't with facia, and you need to replace the whole unit, then I'd be looking at one of the new 11" Android Kayhan units.

Replaces the lot with something that will introduce a screen that delivers functions seen on the newest cars.

chris knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Super easy to get the facia of the radio/cd/HVAC off.
Just unclips.
Get one of those cans of compressed air from Jaycar.

Haven't got one apart before but I have pulled the series 2 apart. Mostly some small screws. A few delicate ribbon cables

Be careful, be gentle. Blow it out with the air.

Might be a good idea to pull the trim panels off the sides (no screws, just clips) and inspect the wiring. The wiring on drivers side sits close to the metal frame of the instrument pad assembly. Inspect for anything obvious.

I would expect the fault to be most likely in the facia.

They can be replaced as best I know (still trying to find out if the series two can be swapped with out reflashing the unit)

If the fault isn't with facia, and you need to replace the whole unit, then I'd be looking at one of the new 11" Android Kayhan units.

Replaces the lot with something that will introduce a screen that delivers functions seen on the newest cars.

thanks mate ill pull it back out one day and and see what happens and ill go from there