Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore oil filter blocked

LG2325

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE + VZ + VY +
I just got off gum tree got it home put it in. Took oil filter out to find this build up slug in it. Any help plz would be good thx I'll put pic up

H

harrop.senator

Sounds like an alloytec that's not been serviced. Awaiting the picture but I'm going to assume you'll find caked rocker covers , cam caps and a blocked drivers side breather.

Which will usually result to a timing chain failure in the end because the tensioners not positioned correctly due to low oil pressure and a blocked feed hole.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Change oil and filter quick and hope for the best.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I would check the pcv hole on drivers valve cover and drill a bigger hole in it when you take it out . Mine was blocked and caused that sludge all through the motor ....although I got rid of the sludge by degreasing the engine internally with some bad caustic degreaser as was much drama but it’s still going strong today .....oil intervals at 15000 on these motors are misleading to the unaware like I was and really refer to cars that do 20,000 a year ...I do my oil changes at least 7500 ...short trips are not kind to these motors. My engine never had a sludged filter but first sign was a oil pressure warning at speed ....I replaced the timing chains and guides/tensioners but they weren’t too bad ...... hope the inside of your engine is not like mine .

Last edited:

LG2325

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE + VZ + VY +
I just got off gum tree got it home put it in. Took oil filter out to find this build up slug in it. Any help plz would be good thx I'll put pic up

LG2325

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE + VZ + VY +
Sounds like an alloytec that's not been serviced. Awaiting the picture but I'm going to assume you'll find caked rocker covers , cam caps and a blocked drivers side breather.

Which will usually result to a timing chain failure in the end because the tensioners not positioned correctly due to low oil pressure and a blocked feed hole.
I can't upload pics sorry yes your right caked everywhere. Wats the best way to clean it

LG2325

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE + VZ + VY +
I would check the pcv hole on drivers valve cover and drill a bigger hole in it when you take it out . Mine was blocked and caused that sludge all through the motor ....although I got rid of the sludge by degreasing the engine internally with some bad caustic degreaser as was much drama but it’s still going strong today .....oil intervals at 150000 on these motors are misleading to the unaware like I was and really refer to cars that do 20,000 a year ...I do my oil changes at least 7500 ...short trips are not kind to these motors. My engine never had a sludged filter but first sign was a oil pressure warning at speed ....I replaced the timing chains and guides/tensioners but they weren’t too bad ...... hope the inside of your engine is not like mine .
How did U clean it

LG2325

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE + VZ + VY +
Wat is the best way to clean??

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Wat is the best way to clean??
Using a caustic degreaser called veet read here You could use any concentrated degreaser like it but the caustic part really bites into that crusty sludge with a bit of scrubbing.....it will take your skin off if you dont protect your hands but nothing any good is actually good for human beings .
I blanked off the oil drain holes in the head and with sump off ,let it soak and used a small inexpensive cordless tool scrubber similar to a cordless toothbrush from Bunnings and you can get attachments that have different brushes and you let the brush do the work and spent some time working over the whole thing ...good thing about the degreaser was that it’s water based so after you break up the sludge ,you just hose it off and it didnt affect paint .
488891FA-CC84-42CD-AA35-1F61625A70C5.jpeg
C04FE17B-739D-4668-9F3D-AD9A1973D642.jpeg

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@LG2325, it all depends on how far gone it isand whether the chain is stretched and you’re getting fault codes...

There are lots of threads and many with detailed pics but start here at the super duper timing chain thread.

Here’s @markovr’s alloytec timing chain thread with pictures, but I’m sure there’s more to find within the forum.

In my view, the very best way is to take the engine out of the vehicle, dismantle it and hot tank the parts, then inspect everything and replace what isn’t serviceable, put it all back together and reinstall... It’s a huge job but the only way to know that nothing is blocked, stretched or ground away and that what remains is serviceable and will then provide reliable operation on clean oil... Probelm is its $$$ to pay someone or lot of you own time if you can do it yourself...

Alternatively you’d remove the sump, rocker covers and front covers and partly dismantle then clean and scrub. Done this way your working in tight quarters and hopefully you’ll not miss something... It’s always a gamble shortcutting a repair, sort of like guessing the length a piece of string :rolleyes:

Hopefully you got the car really cheap to make it worth the trouble and the gunk isn’t too bad in your case...