Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore - Smoke from HVAC unit, not working thereafter

MHK-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Oh, ok. So the aftermarket HVAC bypasses the HVAC actulator.

Right, I see.

Ask a question, I’ve checked all my fuses with a test light in the boot and passenger footwell and they all light up. My engine bay fuses however don’t light up, even though the test light works on the positive of the battery. I’ve hand checked some of the fuses and they are fine. Even tested some like the horn and they work in the car. Why is it that they don’t light up with a test light however? Tried with both ignition and engine on.

Might be a dumb question (again I’m no expert) but have I done damage to the main fuse or something? Would’ve thought they would be working. Do they only work with a multimeter?

Attachments

• DAFDA52D-EE7F-41D9-BD1C-F697684F9810.jpeg
    DAFDA52D-EE7F-41D9-BD1C-F697684F9810.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 3BD66A27-DB5A-4629-8507-24E35278677E.jpeg
    3BD66A27-DB5A-4629-8507-24E35278677E.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 113

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Generally when fuses melt, it doesn’t give off any smell so something else is damaged...

What you should be checking is any after market looms you’ve installed. Look for changes in wire color indicating over heating, squashed wires, cuts in insulation, etc... also check and recheck that any splices you may have done to the cars original wiring are indeed correct... If all is 100%, don’t id revert to standard and test the basics as Fu suggests.

As for testing a fuse, if the test light doesn’t light up, pull the fuse and look at it. If it’s ok, likely the circuit is not the issue. If you want to understand the wiring for that fuse, you’ll need to look at the wiring diagrams. It may be that some fuses protect cuircuits that aren’t powered until the actual function is used... Not sure but headlight fuse protect headlight wiring which won’t see voltage until headlights are turned on....

I’d suggest you can fault find modern cars without a wiring diagram or knowledge of the wiring system in that vehicle... its a pain as such info is harder and harder to source...

Best to look for a VE workshop manual with hopefully wiring diagrams and read through the HVAC/IQ sections and wiring diagrams to understand all the wires the aeropro and alpine system uses to interface to your car...

PS: not sure about VE but VF radio is connected to data bus and interfaces with the vehicles logic so on/off states are a little more complex.. The VE manual should explain the workings within your VE.

I think there is one referenced somewhere on this forum...

PPS: disconnecting battery definitely resolves some issues on VE as a mate found out... Without power, all computer modules (ECU, TCM, BCM, etc) are dead and would thus do a cold boot on reconnecting the battery....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The HVAC is controlled via Body Control Module, the facia, the HVAC module and the actuators. Testing fuses and pin outs is deeply complex now days.

MHK-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thanks for the replies gents.

Looking into the workshop manual, some detailed information there, just got to know how to interpret it!

I'll certainly start off with getting a replacement HVAC unit. Vague as to whether that's the problem but given it shorted my whole system, I guess that's a start. Plus it still smells like smoke, so can't guarantee it still works.

Not sure about wiring being much of an issue as I used an Alpine wiring harness to connect my head unit, so didn't splice any cables from the original Aerpro kit.

Great timing that my car is an absolute mess and I've got registration due in 5 days! You gotta love it!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gotta love how the government still wants full rego and end party liability and personal vehicle insurance still want full premiums when we haven’t been able to drive for the 3 months due to SARS-COV2.

We should get a refund...

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

MHK-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Gotta love how the government still wants full rego and end party liability and personal vehicle insurance still want full premiums when we haven’t been able to drive for the 3 months due to SARS-COV2.

We should get a refund...
Haha agreed, and not as if it's cheap! $780, see you later!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You want to see the manager at Vicroads.

MHK-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Update: All solved.

Returned the Aerpro unit and apparently it had a burned resistor on the motherboard. Installed the replacement and it's all working, pleased to say! Purchased a new Alpine headunit whilst I was at it.

Thanks Skylarking and Fu Manchu, appreciate the help gents!

Attachments

• Aerpro fascia.jpg
    Aerpro fascia.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 124