Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Worst case you'll put a valve through your piston (if it's an interference engine). Yes you could keep driving it. But stretch chain will put the valve timing out. As a consequence your fuel consumption will probably increase and your power will decrease (this will get worse the more it stretches).

I have not done this job myself. Timing chain is on the front of the motor is it not? Wouldn't have thought it would be that bad. Although what are parts worth? A grand?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Do u know if any ve commodore timing chains have ever snaped or they only ever stretch? Mines stretched and been driving it for like 9 months like it with the light coming on each time i start the car i just click the button in each time to cancel it off the screen. The car runs fine no noises, but does have a lack of power because when the engine light comes on it reduces the power but its still driveable. Do u think i should fix it or just leave it whats your opinion? if they dont snap you could probably drive it around for the next 10 years like it. And whats the worst that could happen if it does snap.

Oh dear.............................just shoot me

Driving car in this condition for 9 months....so wrong in so many ways

livecommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
I think its on the bottom somewhere suppose to be 3 timing chains. Parts yer prob 500 to a grand

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Worst case you'll put a valve through your piston (if it's an interference engine). Yes you could keep driving it. But stretch chain will put the valve timing out. As a consequence your fuel consumption will probably increase and your power will decrease (this will get worse the more it stretches).

I have not done this job myself. Timing chain is on the front of the motor is it not? Wouldn't have thought it would be that bad. Although what are parts worth? A grand?

The whole front of the motor comes off, the timing chain runs from the crankshaft to crankshaft, what do you think turns the cam ?
its a very big job, timing case off, cam gear off bla bla take chain off put new 1 redo all the timing aline it all to TDC and BDC, just because its on the front of the motor doesnt mean its not hard.

Parts would be more then 1 thousand, Gakset kit, water pump, everything will add up and labour will kill you i bet. But as someone said don't keep driving it cause you will pull a valve through the piston

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Try maybe 4 timing chains considering they are quad cam engines ? Dont take my word for it im just taking a guess, thats what it usually is, 1 timing chain per cam

Left bank, Right bank n center chain, 3 chains

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
That's correct. 3 timing chains. Chains gotta be align perfectly. Did my timing chain replacement myself, and yes labour did kill me. Big job. Dunno if I still have the full quote of all parts that I got from Holden. Gotta hunt it down.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
vn4250, a parts list and approx cost would be handy if you can find it, and if any special tools are required. It looks like I'm up for this job on my car soon. I'm getting a P0017 code every now and then.

Cheers,

livecommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
In the last month Holden have just brought out a new software update to fix stretched timing chains. If your car still runs fine no noises just lacking power you can have it done. $140 for them to put the new software onto your cars computer and a vim connector kit. Had mine done today and runs 10 times better now!!. $140 is better then paying out over 3grand.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
In the last month Holden have just brought out a new software update to fix stretched timing chains. If your car still runs fine no noises just lacking power you can have it done. $140 for them to put the new software onto your cars computer and a vim connector kit. Had mine done today and runs 10 times better now!!. $140 is better then paying out over 3grand.

Please do define how software can fix a stretched damaged mechanical component ?