Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Just changes the limit the cam phasers work to. Let's them advance/retard further than it did before... doesn't fix the problem cos eventually the tensioners will run out of travel and the chain will become loose.
And for everyone interested, all the parts to do the job correctly, genuine parts retail for $895 all up. sealant, all gaskets,guides and chains.
Most parts suppliers sell them for around $780 in kit form because its becoming more common.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
CAPRILICIOUS WL had this done recently with a timing chain set from the states. It ended up costing him $1300 all up including labour, oil, coolant, all chains guides and tensioners seals and gaskets.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Had a friend get her SV6 done in Nowra NSW for $1900 using genuine parts.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Are these timing chain issues only related to VZ and '06-'07 VEs????? Or are newer VEs showing problems now as well. Are they high mileage vehicles???? If so, what is considered high mileage????

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Are these timing chain issues only related to VZ and '06-'07 VEs????? Or are newer VEs showing problems now as well. Are they high mileage vehicles???? If so, what is considered high mileage????

Had a VZ at 60,000 K's on the clock do a timing chain mate.

Its a common problem with the alloytec and people ignore the issue so valves mean pistons etc and they're up for a new motor. when i got my ecotec built there was 4 alloytecs destroyed waiting for a rebuild.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Thanks Andrew for your answer, but I'm really wishing to know if anyone here has a post 2007 VE with timing chain problems.

damon1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 60th anniversary
Thanks Andrew for your answer, but I'm really wishing to know if anyone here has a post 2007 VE with timing chain problems.

I have an '08 VE SV6, got the engine check light about a month ago, at 110,000 km.

Got a service and returned a P0008 code. Had it looked at by a few independant mechanics, all said timing chain replacement, quoted between 1800-5000 for repair, big variation.

I'm currently looking into this software upgrade.

Talked to the local holden dealer today, they don't believe me when I tell them what the error code is. They want to charge $120 to redo the diagnostic and $180 for the software upgrade (ridiculous but better than the potential thousands). I plan to call around over the next few days and find somewhere that will just do the upgrade, will update with the outcome.

Chard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT s2 SS - t56
As some one posted it is a fidley job but can be done in half a day and the chains can be common to stretch

what you will generally find is a noticeable noise from the engine + engine lights coming on

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Just got my car back yesterday after a timing chain replacement at 135,000 k's ('06 VE SV6) I had mine done at my local dealer, cost me $3600 all up, but that also included a service, brake service, plugs etc. The timing chain part of the job came in a little under $3k.Running and sounding so much better now, and a noticeable difference in fuel consumption already. With regards to the software update. my S/A told me it's a calibration they can do, but it's only a temp fix, does not permanently fix the problem, just makes the car a little smoother and gives people a little breathing space before getting the job done.