Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Chopchop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 07
I have seen some pretty quality doble rowed jobbies like from rollmaster needle roller bearings timing keyway slots for precise timing and pretty bullet proof,,they run at the front of motor there is a single single rowed chain in the stock v8s and v6s that runs to crank then up to cam timing gear sprocket there is tensioner and a few other little fiddly bits bolts etc behind the cover plus gotta remember to replace gasket or use the blue goo thats works well as anon cork gasget look on ebay or go to any auto shop thats credible and do the price play off against eachother to see whos cheapest prob only a cuple of hundie atm for part for a mechanic even a retired one looking for cashie work, their there,anit that bigg a prob especially if on a quote and not rushing ,peace and hope that helps a bit and gday to all on the forums peace and clean balck lines left on the black top

NZRasta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have been trying to find out info on how often timing chains go in a commodore I am looking at after being told they need replaced every 100-120k, after finding this site I also found an interesting article from Consumer NZ, admittedly it is based on the Consumer Guarantees Act in NZ but thought I'd paste the link anyway.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/holden-timing-chains-don-t-last-distance

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Have been trying to find out info on how often timing chains go in a commodore I am looking at after being told they need replaced every 100-120k, after finding this site I also found an interesting article from Consumer NZ, admittedly it is based on the Consumer Guarantees Act in NZ but thought I'd paste the link anyway.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/holden-timing-chains-don-t-last-distance

There is no set distance for this, it's not part of any scheduled service. The chain shouldn't need replacing for many kms, but unfortunately many do Fail and start to "stretch" Theory is it's a known issue with 06, 07 and early 08 V6's but there have been numerous threads on here with owners of newer cars also with timing chain problems. It needs to be changed when you have a problem that is properly diagnosed as being the chain. This is not a timing belt that has scheduled service recommendations. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Must be a reason the V8's dont seem to have this issue just the V6's starting from the VZ. Must be a design flaw.

My old Honda had 2 services in 7 years with 280000kms and still runs without any main engine issues LOL

zaky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SERIES 2
Hi all
So what does everyone recommend doing first? Software update? Take it to castle holden? Or pay 2.5k

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Hi all
So what does everyone recommend doing first? Software update? Take it to castle holden? Or pay 2.5k

Depends if you are going to keep it longer or sell it.
If you have the alloytec v6 and the scan is pulling one of the Timing Chain codes.
For me I went for the software fix first. And was going to sell it not long after. Sadly the software came back already updated $100 or so after !. So went with the full job (Chains / Tensioners / Guides / Gaskets) through my local mechanic. Pays to ask if they have done timing chains on a VE before. They sourced the timing chain kit straight from Holden and did the job costing me way less. I also got the spark plugs changed at the same time since the intake was off and new gaskets replaced, you dont need to if you want to save $

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Hi all

Definitely get the software update done first. My 2009 SV6 would throw a check engine light randomly and go away. I took it to holden and they did the update on the parameters of the chain sensors and I have had no more trouble. They said because mine is SIDI engine its less likely to be a chain issue but there are people on here with later models than mine that have had the chains done so its a lottery draw. I was told if the check engine did come back in the future, it will be $1800 for them to do the chains. I will keep driving till then and save some money.

zaky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SERIES 2
Ok thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. Its just so weird because it only popd up with check engine light after i had just serviced my car myself. Like oil change(5L) ,oil filter,air filter and added new spark plugs, changed manifold gasket. I think il do software update 1st as yous have said?..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Because it's not stretched enough to cause a mechanical issue, only enough to set off the warning light based on the original settings in the software...