Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodore stutters in 4th gear..

CoreyKiddVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore OMEGA LE0
My 2008 VE has been playing up a bit in 4th gear. Other than the stutter in 4th gear it runs great.

When I lightly accelerate to bring my speed up in 4th gear, my car jerk and sputters as if its struggling to change gear. ATM I am putting my foot down the bit extra to kick it down into 3rd gear to bring up my speed.

The 4th gear stutter in my only issue and its shitting me.

I have all new spark plugs, the #6 spark plug well looked brown when changing it. didn't get too far into (was strapped for time). I feel like if that was the issue, it would play up in all gears.

That's the same for if the problem was a coil pack or spark plug. I would think I would play up in all gears. not just 4th..

Car also has a growler kit on it which the air filter needs a clean (will be doing that tomorrow).

I have been putting in unleaded 95

Do I have faulty coil pack/s?
Faulty injectors?
Bad gear box?
In need of transmission service?
Bad fuel pump?

let me know what you guys think..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d be getting the transmission serviced and inspected.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Id be getting the it checked for any codes,
because not ALL codes activate the "Check Engine" Dash Light.

Last edited:

CoreyKiddVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore OMEGA LE0
Codes have been read. And no codes are coming up. I will be calling a transmission place tomorrow. If they can’t do it tomorrow. I will be buying the stuff and doing it myself. I’m also looking at getting some coil packs and some fuel injectors to eliminate those suspects as well..

Also an interesting discovery, when the car is in sports auto (sports shift), the 4th gear issue is almost completely eliminated. Not sure if that means anything.. but yeah.

Thanks for the reply guys

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would suggest that doing a service yourself won't resolve much.
Why I mentioned it is because a transmission place can get a few other bits out and inspect them, clean them at the same time for minimal additional cost to the service. (Provided there isn't anything needing replacing)

By all means replace those items if you suspect they are getting on a bit, but only for the reason of servicing the car. Change the plugs too at the same time. Gap them correctly.

Last edited:

Sideways Sam

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ LS2, VZ Wags, VS Manual Ute
Was there any resolution to this?? My VE V6 - 4 speed is doing this too (replaced transmission, still doing it.
Any ideas? TPS maybe??