Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Sv6 2010 - Scrub Radius & Offset

Craig Bullock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Sv6 SIDI MY2010
Hi, since my car is 11 years old, I am looking at a new Wheel and Tyre package. Currently, I have the stock 18x8 wheels and the tyres are 245/45/R18. Stock Wheel offset is +48. I was thinking that I would keep the same wheel and tyre sizes but the new wheels I like have an offset of +32.
I am aware that the stock setup has a negative scrub radius but can't find any mention of the exact dimensions. My concern is that if I do get new wheels, while they may look great, they also may negatively impact the handling due to changes in the scrub radius.
Does anyone
a) have any dimensions of the exact stock scrub radius with the +48 offset; and
b) have any experience fitting aftermarket wheels where the wheel offset is significantly less than +48?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you move to a positive 32 offset then you will just have more negative scrub radius.
The effects on steering will be minimal.
It's been years since I've wheel aligned cars and many beers between but from my memory it's favourable to be on the negative side with scrub radius. You want to have it match the tyre so if you have 255 fronts you would want to try and get the scrub radius closer to neutral as possible but still on the negative side.
If you're running a 205 more scrub radius either positive or negative isn't as big of a deal.

You're only going an extra 18mm negative in scrub radius which is not much but if you're that worried just use a 20mm hubcentric spacer.

Craig Bullock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Sv6 SIDI MY2010
Thanks Shane. New to this. My understanding is that the pivot point is fixed but with a reduced offset the tyre/wheel centreline moves outward by say 16mm (+48 less +32) which could flip the negative scrub radius to being a positive scrub radius. Trying to get my head around it so I don't make the wrong decision.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Trying to get my head around it so I don't make the wrong decision.
Buy what you like. Sure having the correct scrub radius is nice, but it's not going to impact handling as much as you're thinking (if at all), particularly in daily driving where you're not doing 300km an hour. The sizes and offsets you're talking about are within optioned specs on the car if you look at HSV wheel sizes. Pretty much everybody that runs 9" and 10" wide wheels on the front of their VEs (or any other fitment crowd) would be complaining about it if it was noticeable. IMHO it won't be perceptible at all.

Last edited: