Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore timing chain

Fitzy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Hello guys I have a 2010 omega sports wagon it's thrown a timing chain check engine light. I am moving to Brisbane from Albury so about 1465km away. Do you think it'll last. I will be towing a trailer. It's not making any noise of loosing any power.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
no one on here could tell you if it will make it or not are you in the nrma the worse case scenario if it does fail it going to cost a lot and a big inconvenience

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Maybe get it reset first, as it could of been a one of error, and see if it happens again,
On another note, has the oil & filter been changed recently ?,
because if it hasn't, you may wish to consider that as band aid, as the oil could be thickening up and causing a bit more friction, and causing it to go out of timing, being it wont fix it, but it may help and get you to QLD so you can look into it further.

FYI: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/For-Hol...m2a82686dd1:g:HlQAAOSwfRdZGmh0&frcectupt=true

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hello guys I have a 2010 omega sports wagon it's thrown a timing chain check engine light. I am moving to Brisbane from Albury so about 1465km away. Do you think it'll last. I will be towing a trailer. It's not making any noise of loosing any power.

Assuming its a V6 ?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Pretty common people drive be V6 for years with these codes no issues, others destroy engines quick, depends on servicing.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
'Check engine timing chain light'? Has the code been actually read to indicate timing chain?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
We drove the work wagon around for a year before we did the chains. It's a cam crank correlation code which means the two banks are advance or retartard from each other and the crank by a couple of degrees. There is no more danger of the chains snapping from when you pick the car up untill you do them.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
We drove the work wagon around for a year before we did the chains. It's a cam crank correlation code which means the two banks are advance or retartard from each other and the crank by a couple of degrees. There is no more danger of the chains snapping from when you pick the car up untill you do them.

Yep, there's a lot of uncertainty around timing chains. Codes indicating a timing discrepancy are the only ones that warrant full timing chain replacement. People talk of chains snapping and jumping teeth, which is total crap. And let's not forget, these are still chains and not belts like most other modern OHC engines, which WILL snap and destroy an engine if not replaced on schedule.