Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodore wont start engine, ABS ans Stability ctrl light flashing

meetei

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Hi, My VE commodore SV6 (Omega) doesn't start. It tries to start when the ignition key is turned, but it won't because ABS and Stability control light flashes alternately. Car has brand new battery, spark plugs, oil filter, brake pads. Could it be the ABS sensor on the left rear wheel that is causing the problem.
Could someone provide me the link in the forum if there is a similar case like mine or shade some idea how to go about resolving it. Appreciate your help.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
what is making you think the left rear has anything to do with it?

meetei

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
I read ABS flashing light is resolved after changing the loom and the rear left sensor. Thanks.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I read ABS flashing light is resolved after changing the loom and the sensor. Thanks.

It depends on the code that is causing the ABS (and Check Engine?) light to flash.
I've also read a lot of thread where members have had issue with their ABS it is a particular rears sensor (left or right, I can't remember) that is the cause but i'm sure that this didn't prevent car from starting.

I did a quick search for the thread but there are so many and in the first 5 I looked at I couldn't find the issue you think is the cause.

My advice, you need someone with a scan tool or one of those ELM327 interface to read the code - when you have a code, you'll be closer to the root cause.

meetei

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Appreciate your advice. I will either call a mobile mechanic or tow it to Holden in a few days. I suppose until then there is nothing much I can do! Well.. when it is resolved, I will put up the diagnosis. Until then Thank you.

jake.ty

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss
hi can some 1 tell me how to get a post up as I am new sorry about putting on here put that's all I new how to do any help be good

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
The ABS fault wont stop the car starting. It actually comes up for many many reasons, if anything at all may possibly have an effect on the systems working, it shuts down and gives the warning. Most likely whatever is stopping the car starting is the real issue and the ABS is a side effect that will go away on its own. What do you mean by "It tries to start"? What actually happens? Have you checked the battery? This so far really sounds like a flat battery issue. Or possibly an earthing problem. Not being a mechanic or electrician, I'd try the following steps before forking over any money.

Test the battery voltage - if you don't have a multimeter, go into engineering mode by holding down the left steering wheel button and turn on to ON (it' one of those buttons on the left side, the scroll wheel I think).
Check the terminals are on properly and clean.
Check the battery earth strap.
Check the bolt that holds the positive jumper terminal in the engine bay. (I hear it can cause problems if it isn't tightened properly).

IF it is the battery and it's new, make sure to check the alternator too. Simple indication is the charging voltage, it should be somewhere in the range of 14 - 15.5V for a healthy system (VEs vary the voltage, so don't worry if it moves a bit).

As for the left rear ABS, yes a lot of people seem to have a problem with the loom for it. But that's if there is an actual fault with it. Also that isn't always the problem, I had a sensor die but have never had an issue with the harness. Either way, it won't cause starting issues. Besides, you really should check what the issue is before just replacing parts because some people have had a problem with it. Things get very expensive guessing just replacing stuff without any checks to see what's most likely.

Good luck, hope it's not too serious (read expensive).

Last edited:

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
hi can some 1 tell me how to get a post up as I am new sorry about putting on here put that's all I new how to do any help be good

Firstly, please use punctuation. I personally don't care about spelling or txt speak, but find it so hard to read things without commas and full stops. Thanks. Second, the answer. In the section you wish to post in (eg, VE section), just below the page number at the top of the screen is a drop down labelled "Forum Tools". Click that and there's the "Post a New Thread" button. Finally, welcome, and I hope you find it a useful site and can possibly help out a few yourself.

meetei

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
My car was finally towed to K Mart Mechanic. First they couldn't find anything wrong with the car when they check electronically. No error detected. Later on, when they are going through part by part check, they say it is the timing belt chain. It is stretched. To replace it cost $1600 - aghast!. Can someone who has done this repair advise me if the amount OK? Is there a cheaper way to tackle it. Thanks.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
My car was finally towed to K Mart Mechanic. First they couldn't find anything wrong with the car when they check electronically. No error detected. Later on, when they are going through part by part check, they say it is the timing belt chain. It is stretched. To replace it cost $1600 - aghast!. Can someone who has done this repair advise me if the amount OK? Is there a cheaper way to tackle it. Thanks.

common issue in 2006 - (mid) 2007 VE V6's, with over 100,000km

$1,600 repair bill sounds good, I've read in recent thread it cost $2,800! ($2,000-$2,500 may be considered average)

search long enough and you'll probably find up to 50 threads in JC on this issue, with costs, other details etc

but here's 5 thread to get you going :)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...timing-chain-just-dropped-off-mechanic.232953
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/timing-chain-issue-ve-commodore-2006-help-please.221791
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ve-timing-chain.212575
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/possible-stretched-timing-chain.136662
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ve-my10-sv6-timing-chain-replacement.223960
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ve-commodore-timing-chain.190638

(ps: I actually gave you 6 links, I was on a roll when I was using the magical search function to look for VE Timing Chain threads :p )

Last edited: