Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Complainer Plates - URGENT help needed

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
Hello all, Aussie in Germany here.

I have a big favour to ask of you VE owners. Would someone, anyone, be so kind to post photos of all the Compliance Plates for a VE?

The VIN plate, the Tyre Placard, anything with exhaust/emissions, anything with weights or lengths or anything.

I've just hit a huge hurdle here regarding registering the car and I have no way of getting the plates from my actual car anymore.

This is a pretty urgent ask, and I know that none of you owe me anything, I'm just hoping someone will be able to help.

Also, I don't think Compliance Plate Photos can be used to scam anyone, so please don't think im here trying to rip anyone off. I just need help pretty urgently.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If you trying to register your car in Germany, you would have the car with you,
and the VIN,
With the VIN, you would be best to contact Holden direct for the specifications,
as they are the manufacture of the vehicle, and they would have the original specs of the vehicle.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Nurburgring!
Don't you have the tyre decal,etc inside your driver's door?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Important identifying info on VE’s are likely the same as on VF’s which I can highlight below.

On my VF, the VIN is visible on the outside left lower part of the windscreen and (I think?) stamped on a floor cross member under drivers seat. This is the most critical info that exists. Then there is a metal compliance plate in the engine bay near the air box. It lists VIN, model #, build date (and I think paint, gearbox and diff codes). Also critical info. Finally there is a compliance decal on the passenger B pillar. It lists approval no, build date and VIN. Of note, it can also list GVM but this is only done on commercial vehicles (utes?) and not on sedans. These are probably the most critical bits of info which identifies the vehicle.

Then there is a tyre decal (sticker) on the drivers door B pillar. It lists allowable tyre size(s) and tire pressure. Also, there is a tow bar information decal on the drivers door B pillar. It lists tow bar part numbers and carry weights (if you indeed have a tow bar). These are needed for regulatory reasons and must also be included on a vehicle.

Often these decals need to be replaced during vehicle repair after a collision. Holden Customer Care may be able to help with replacement decals though you need to prove ownership for the critical ones. Even then, I’m not sure if the build plate can be reproduced. But I’d think your real problem is proving ownership of the vehicle considering you are not in Australia AND can’t present to a Holden dealer. Also proving ownership to Holden is impossible if there is no VIN on the vehicle and all decals/plates are missing to begin with. And in my experience, auto manufacturers are not helpful to 3rd party exporters/importers.

Lastly, photos of compliance plates with vehicle specific data can indeed be used to clone a vehicle, especially one that is overseas, and as such one shouldn’t be posting such info.

I’m not trying to be difficult, and I do wish you well in resolving this with HCC. But the real interesting question for me is what bits of identifying info are actually fixed on your VE and what bits are missing as far as the German registration authority is concerned. Does the German registration authority make any concessions for personally imported vehicles?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Been lots of cars stolen not saying yours is, but sounds very strange someone removed the compliance plate and so on, Once you ask Holden to run the VIN number for the details it might just come up stolen.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Been lots of cars stolen not saying yours is, but sounds very strange someone removed the compliance plate and so on, Once you ask Holden to run the VIN number for the details it might just come up stolen.
But I wonder why would a stolen Holden ute be shipped to Europe (LHD)? Maybe southern African countries might be a market for it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The VIN plate, the Tyre Placard, anything with exhaust/emissions, anything with weights or lengths or anything.

There are no mention of exhaust/emissions data on any of the data plates, no dimensions of any kind...
The VIN decal on the passenger B pillar states the GVM, E3 Maloo is 2410 kilos, dunno about an SS.
Also states: THIS VEHICLE WAS MANUFACTURED TO COMPLY WITH THE MOTOR VEHICLE STANDARDS ACT 1989.
VE was Euro 4 compliant.
Tyre placard for an E3 probably isn't applicable to a VE SS as I don't think 20" wheels were an option.
It does list 19" wheels.
2019-09-25 16.04.47.jpg

Carol22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY 2002
Can anyone tell me where the ve compliance plate would be located? I've looked and can't find it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Carol22, the compliance lable (it's white) is stuck on the vehicles left side B pillar. I believe it is one of those security type lables and tears appart if you try and remove it. The lable lists VIN, build date, vehcile approval number and not much else for sedans. This lable does lists the GVM on utes.

The build plate is located on the vehicles left side inner strut structure near the airbox. It is a silver metal plate rivited to the body. It lists VIN, build date, engine, gearbox and diff codes and paint and trim codes i think...

The vehicle identity number must match on the compliance lable, the build plate, the number stamped on the lower left windscreen support and the number stamped under the seat support (floor).

All this info (baring lable/plate colours) is in post above so don't be lazy and read through a thread before posting ;)

Last edited: