Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Depreciation?

Flange87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V
The car is black and I bought it private sale from an older couple in QLD, I got lucky as they were just about to trade it in. As for the condition it is in pretty good nick full service history, new tyres all round, minor scratches to the paint work but nothing that can not be fixed, interior is beautiful. I will post some pictures in the "my ride" section once I get home from working in Darwin in two weeks time.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I've had some painful lessons in the economics of car depreciation.
If you have a brand new Commodore in 2008, and look after it really well, hardly use it at all - you still suffer a lot of depreciation as soon as you buy it, because it's no longer new.
In 2009, it's "last year's", and the 100,000 Commodores made since yours have to be worth more than yours (barring damage or high kms) - that's market forces.
In 2010, yours is 2 years old, and there are 200,000 Commodores newer than yours ... get the picture ?

The place to research used car prices is the Redbook. They give two prices: what the dealer pays, and what the dealer expects to get when he re-sells.
Typically, the difference between these two is $6,000 - which is the dealer's margin.
So, the trick is to buy where the dealers buy - at the auctions.
I've bought my last three Commodores at auction, and I've helped a few mates through the process. Where I go, the dealers have reserved seating, so it's easy to see where the bids are coming from. I get my catalogue the day before, and research all the cars that I'm interested in, making notes on my catalogue. In my experience, the dealers won't bid above the lower Redbook price, which makes sense. So then, Joe Public fights it out, and sometimes people get very silly. But I have noticed that as the auction proceeds, the buyers thin out: they only have so many places to fill, or so many dollars to spend. Also, the Joe Publics only want one car each, so each winner departs. Late in the session, competition is less fierce, and sometimes you can get a car for the bottom Redbook price, with no premium. That's as good as it gets.

The Redbook value of 2007 Holden Commodore SS VE (checked this morning)
* Private Price Guide $23,300 - $26,100 (what the dealer sells for)
* Trade In Price Guide $18,200 - $21,000 (what the dealer buys for).

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
If you have a brand new Commodore in 2008, and look after it really well, hardly use it at all - you still suffer a lot of depreciation as soon as you buy it, because it's no longer new.
In 2009, it's "last year's", and the 100,000 Commodores made since yours have to be worth more than yours (barring damage or high kms) - that's market forces.
In 2010, yours is 2 years old, and there are 200,000 Commodores newer than yours ... get the picture ?

The place to research used car prices is the Redbook. They give two prices: what the dealer pays, and what the dealer expects to get when he re-sells.
Typically, the difference between these two is $6,000 - which is the dealer's margin.
So, the trick is to buy where the dealers buy - at the auctions.
I've bought my last three Commodores at auction, and I've helped a few mates through the process. Where I go, the dealers have reserved seating, so it's easy to see where the bids are coming from. I get my catalogue the day before, and research all the cars that I'm interested in, making notes on my catalogue. In my experience, the dealers won't bid above the lower Redbook price, which makes sense. So then, Joe Public fights it out, and sometimes people get very silly. But I have noticed that as the auction proceeds, the buyers thin out: they only have so many places to fill, or so many dollars to spend. Also, the Joe Publics only want one car each, so each winner departs. Late in the session, competition is less fierce, and sometimes you can get a car for the bottom Redbook price, with no premium. That's as good as it gets.

The Redbook value of 2007 Holden Commodore SS VE (checked this morning)
* Private Price Guide $23,300 - $26,100 (what the dealer sells for)
* Trade In Price Guide $18,200 - $21,000 (what the dealer buys for).

Hey mate,

Thanks for your advice.! Makes a whole lot of sense. Might have to check it out. Only thing that has steered me away from the auctions in the past is the fact that you can't drive them until you have purchased it.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Well around 70,000 or there abouts but I get your point.

3 day offer: I have been offered 26,500 from a dealer on my VE SSV June 09 build (last of the non AFR motors). Give me $27,000 by Thursday and it's yours if not it goes to the big bad corporate dealer network :p

Reaper

300x300.jpg