Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Depreciation?

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Hi guys,

I know this might be a bit of a difficult question but I'll give it a go.

Looking at buying an SS-V 6-speed manual in about 12-18 months time. Series I or II is undecided as yet it will all depend on the depreciation figures.

Just wanted to know if there is a general rule of thumb with Holdens in terms of how much they depreciate over time. Any idea of what I can expect to pay? Is there a website that has these figures.

Obviously I will be looking at something with no more than 15-20,000km a year. And will most likely be from a dealer

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Joey :thumbsup:

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Just look at the prices of 12-18 month old SSVs now. That'll give you a ballpark figure to go on.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
So you reckon multiply that by how ever many years old the car is? I would probably be looking to spend no more than 26k...is this wishful thinking?

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Won't happen for 26k for series 2, with lowish k's on it anyway... Purely because it outdates the series one, however you may be able to pick up a late 2010 series one for 30ish but probably not 26

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
A 2 year old SSV for $26k will have a heap of KM on it. I'd consider a slightly older car or find some more money.

Reaper

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry I forgot to mention I don't mind if it's an '06 up. Dealers are selling '06 SSV's at the moment with 82,000km for $32k.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
So you reckon multiply that by how ever many years old the car is? I would probably be looking to spend no more than 26k...is this wishful thinking?

nup... doesnt work like that mate. no easy way to 'work if out' with maths.... you need to look at actual prices for specific models and years.
depreciation works on a sliding scale, more depreciation in the first few years and less as the car gets older. trying to work out a multiplication factor isnt going to get you anywhere.

if you want a realistic guide as to how much a specific model drops over time, go into a dealer and negotiate on a brand new car.
work out exactly what it will cost, then compare this to 2nd hand models already on sale.
a dealer demo with a few thousand on the clock wont be far off new price, but once it's left the dealer the price starts sliding.

are you absolutely sure that you only want to buy through a dealer?

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
Bought my Calais for 39k at 1 year old with 40,000kms in '07. Now early '11 it's value is 29k at best, but the market is flooded with problem riddled '06 VEs. Anyway, rough calculation is: 39k-29k = 10k / 2.5 = 4k per year (approx) depreciation. Obviously if you're purchasing one brand new the first year depreciates the most, soon as you drive away that's 10k depreciated right away.

In a few years time the SS VE SIIs will be in the 35k-45k area, even after haggling with a dealer or seller. Depreciation also varies depending on demand and market, at the moment you could probably pick up a decent SS '06 for close to 20k-25k because there are roughly 121 '06 SS VEs on one car selling site.