Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Diff

Davomac7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I am thinking of upgrading me Ve SSV ute diff to a Harrop truetrac or a wavetrac , does anyone have any experience with these . Mine is an auto 6.0 ltr supercharged 359 kw at rear wheels and feel I may get better traction with these diffs . Any tips would be appreciated

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I am thinking of upgrading me Ve SSV ute diff to a Harrop truetrac or a wavetrac , does anyone have any experience with these . Mine is an auto 6.0 ltr supercharged 359 kw at rear wheels and feel I may get better traction with these diffs . Any tips would be appreciated
Apparently the Harrop Truetrac is the one to get, not that I’ve done the upgrade yet myself. The advantage is that it doesn’t use clutch packs as it uses gearing for the limited slip operation like a Torsten diff does. That means it basically doesn’t ever wear out or need special LSD diff oils.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Davomac7, if I’m not mistaken, the problem with the factory lsd is that as the clutch packs wear out the side gears move further away from their mating bevel gears. When that gets too extreme, the bear contact patch gets to too small and too close to the top of the gear tooth and then they break.

In older lsd’s housed in solid axles, the same could occur but because you could take the rear diff cover off and get easy access to change the clutch packs as preventative maintenance while the solid axle was still in the vehicle ment people more readily maintained their lsd. But in the VE & VF you’d have to drop the whole diff housing (a time consuming and expensive task as lots of other things also have to be removed for access). Then you’d do the clutch pack change on a bench.

Witch True trac or Harrop, they are both Torsten type diffs which as mentioned means no special lsd diff oil or additives (which is a bonus) and they don’t have clutch plates (so nothing to wear out and no potential broken gears as a result).

But the down side with all Torsten type diffs is that when a wheel comes off the ground, all power goes to that unrestrained wheel and forward drive is lost (though it’s easy to correct by lightly applying the brakes there is no freewheel).

Which is better, Truetrac or Harrop, no idea… but for the road, what I’ve read is either is better than the factory lsd. I’ll be replacing my lsd with Truetrac/Harrop once a ways out of warranty…

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Which is better, Truetrac or Harrop, no idea… but for the road, what I’ve read is either is better than the factory lsd. I’ll be replacing my lsd with Truetrac/Harrop once a ways out of warranty…
From what I’ve read online the Truetrac name is owned and made by Eaton so I think that it’s actually a Eaton Truetrac and Harrop just sell them.

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/products/performance-driveline/detroit-harrop-truetrac

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...c/eaton-truetrac-differential-brochure-en.pdf

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I have no issues with my Harrop Truetrac, it’s great and would recommend one for sure. Mine isn’t noisy which I have heard they can be, you can feel it a little when you have a fair bit of steering lock in and slowly take off (slight shudder) barely worth mentioning but it’s there.
Glad I did it, does help keep it straight(-ish) more than the stock one would.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’m pretty sure that the Harrop and the TrueTrac are different. IIRC, Harrop uses gears from TrueTrac, but use more of them and make their own housing for the diff gears. I think that the hp/torque rating of the Harrop version is significantly higher that the (true) TrueTrac version.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are Trutrac copies that are junk and are being called Trutrac when they aren't. If called a Trutrac and it's around $1200 or less it's a junk one.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’m pretty sure that the Harrop and the TrueTrac are different. IIRC, Harrop uses gears from TrueTrac, but use more of them and make their own housing for the diff gears. I think that the hp/torque rating of the Harrop version is significantly higher that the (true) TrueTrac version.
On the Harrop website, I only see eaton (Truetrac) diffs and nothing to indicate Harrop make the centres, gears or anything else (under license). If they did, you‘d think it would be plastered everywhere on their website.

So they just seem to be resellers.

If you have any links that clarify my view, I’m happy to be corrected :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have an idea the junk ones are Torqueline.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
On the Harrop website, I only see eaton (Truetrac) diffs and nothing to indicate Harrop make the centres, gears or anything else (under license). If they did, you‘d think it would be plastered everywhere on their website.

So they just seem to be resellers.

If you have any links that clarify my view, I’m happy to be corrected :cool:

Have a look at their website - https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/prod...-harrop-truetrac/truetrac-holden-zf-32-spline

My understanding is that the Harrop version has 8 pinions whereas the Eaton version has 6.

I did read up on them a few years ago and Harrop made it very clear that their TrueTrac was a heavier version of the Eaton. It certainly used gears from Eaton. It might be something that was clearer on an earlier version of their website, or perhaps the Eaton version is now also 8 pinion too?