Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE door lock actuator

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
Drivers side door lock actuator has been playing up lately so have just bought one from spare parts (entire unit).

Before I book it in to have the stealership replace it.

Is this easy enough to do myself?

Could not find it in any searches. But have found the VE door removal in the DIY section.

Reaction score
Website
www.bkwheels.com.au
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Taking the door off requires about 5 phillips head screw 3 on the bottom and 2 on the side of the door. You have one star screw where you door handle is and two phillips head screws at the bottom of the arm rest. once all are out pull the door trim up and off and unclip the 2 wires off the back of the trim at the door handle. Once that is done you have to take the plastic wrap back undo the 3 star screws on the door actuator mechanism on the side of the door and then carefully manuver the actuator around so that the metal bar that runs from the outside door handle down to the actuator comes out. There is also a electrical plug you will need to undo (you might need a torch). then replace with the new one and put everything back were it came from just like lego. ;)

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
thanks. I might try it on the weekend.

Good excuse to get a set of Torx screwdrivers.

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
That short bar with the hook on the end is a total biatch. Managed to get it off easily enough but to put back on.......

All good now and have an operation door latch again.

BTW T25 for the torx screw to the door trim inside the door release handle and a T30 required to take the entire mechanism off the door frame.

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
I was going to take some photos. But the one with the hook pissed me off no end so forgot.

brente1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just wondering where you got the part from and how much?

I too am having a problem with mine like alot of other people. Interior light wont come on with drivers door, radio stays on and so do all dash lights.

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
Got it from Holden spare parts.

Part number for drivers side door = GM-92236016

Around $223

Jode

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
VE Door Locks Faulty

Drivers side door lock actuator has been playing up lately so have just bought one from spare parts (entire unit).

Before I book it in to have the stealership replace it.

Is this easy enough to do myself?

Could not find it in any searches. But have found the VE door removal in the DIY section.

I pretty much agree with removal of lock but have added some detail...""Taking the door off requires about 5 phillips head screw 3 on the bottom and 2 on the side of the door. (Some only have the two philips at the bottom) You have one star screw where your door handle is (underneath the little square plastic cover that has to be removed first), ( you can use a blade screwdriver to get these) and two phillips head screws at the bottom of the arm rest. Once all are out (grab the door pocket and pull the door trim OUT to disconnet clips then) pull the door trim up and off. Unclip the 2 CABLES (one for the lock button and one for the door lever) and lift the metal ball and cables off. Unclip the electrical connector for the elec window. Take the trim completely offf and put to one side. Once that is done you have to take the (peel back) the plastic wrap. Undo the 3 star screws on the door actuator mechanism on the side (end) of the door and then carefully manuver the actuator around so that the metal bar that runs from the outside door handle down to the actuator comes out. You will need to unclip that plastic connector that goes arounbd that metal bar. It splits in half then snaps back when you come to reinstall it. There is also an electrical plug on the locking mechanism. (Lift the red bar UP then withdraw the connector out sideways). you will need to undo (you might need a torch). (You may need to unstick the foam under the window runner before you can drag the lock mechanism down and out the whole at the bottom fo the door) then replace with the new one and put everything back were it came from just like lego. make sure you put the foam back under the window runner AND when you come to replace the trim, locate the pegs on the door first. No need to hook it over at the top as it will self locate. Give it a sharp slap with your hand and door trim will pop into place. Restore all screws and rememebr to stick plastic back to stop air wind and rain entering car ( You can actually open the door lock mechanism on a bench. There are 5 philips screws to undo. Nothing falls out. You will find that when they made it they have grease inside it to grease the leavers. The idiots either haven't used enough grease or it has worn off. It seems to go into little balls so I would say it is the wrong grease and is subject to cold temperatures. You can put in more grease and grease the levers and save yourself $135 for a new lock. Note, the locks are specific to not only VE but the type of VE and when it was built because they are ALL different locks. Provide your year month to the stealership and whether it is My09, My08 etc.

Stu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I have a similar problem with my VE SV6 (2007) but instead of the driver's side door, I have a problem with the other 3 doors. When I hit the remote to unlock, the driver's side door unlocks no problems but the other doors take a few more presses to unlock. And this is not a 2-stage unlock problem - even when set to single stage unlock, I still have this problem. After i hit lock, unlock, lock, unlock a few times, all the locks unlock and lock with a single press of the button. But it takes a few goes for all the doors to work. Does anyone know what the problem could be here? Is it likely that 3 actuators have all crapped themselves at once? If there is indeed some crappy grease in the actuators like Jode ^ has mentioned, then i guess it could make sense that the old, crapped out grease needs to warm a bit to let the actuators work (it's cold here in Adelaide at the moment) but this seems unlikely to me. My battery is due to be replaced, could this be an issue? Is it not delivering enough charge to the actuators? But why would it not affect all the doors?

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I had the same issue as your Stu not long after I got it new.

Being one of the first to do it, it spent months in and out of the dealer trying to fix it but more understand why it was doing it so they could learn from it for others that could come in.

After new harnesses, modules, batteries, switches and a range of other items the only solution was new actuators. After the 3 were fixed my drivers died just out of warranty but was replaced no problems.