Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE door lock actuator

Stu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
How have they been since replacement? I'm not in warranty so this sounds like it will be expensive.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
They haven't failed since they were replaced and that was around aug 2010.

Mines a 2007 model and I know another guy who had a similar issue that was resolved with an actuator replacement under warranty.

Maybe do one and see how you go.

Stu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks dude. One at a time sounds like a good idea.

Stu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Just an update. I had my car's battery replaced and the problem has completely gone away. The old battery must not have been delivering enough juice to the actuators for them to work properly. Now with a new one, they all work in perfect unison.

Quite relieved as a $200 battery is way cheaper then 3 actuators. :D

Ebird

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where I ask a related question. VE 2007 Calais. Both interior and exterior driver's door manual handles are feeling as if they are barely engaging the latch itself. It "feels" like a fraying cable or stretched cable ( progressively worsening feeling like it is now barely engaging).but when I watch the video of an actuator change, I am doubting that the cable/s are the problem. Anyone got any similar experience? I don't want to wait until I can't get in or out of the car but need to know what the problem is to get correct part in advance.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Ebird, pull the trim off the door as was described above and see if you can spot anything that doesn't look right when you are pulling the exterior handle. If something is worn or not moving properly it may be obvious.
(On a side note I find this thread worrying. I've had a BA Falcon for the past 7 years and have replaced all 4 door lock actuators in that time, one of them twice, so I was hoping I might not have these problems switching over to Holden:doh:)

Aquarius

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 VE Berlina 3.0 SIDI
I was going to take some photos. But the one with the hook pissed me off no end so forgot.

Just replaced the driver's door actuator myself. Might be worth noting that the actuator can be pulled through the hole in the door while still connected to the door lock rod. Makes disconnection of the rod from the actuator much easier than trying to do this with the whole lot still inside the door skin. Same applies to reconnecting the new actuator. Do the lock rod first with the actuator outside the door. Then maneuver the lock assembly into the door, connect the cables to the interior handle and lock tab then plug in the electrical connector and finally screw the lock assembly in place. When it's in position, connect the second rod which comes from the exterior door handle using the plastic clip.

http://imgur.com/a/RryHA

ZUJgC8L
CGDT6AA
S3EUvOi
MgG0PSq

Last edited:

Parg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2010
Hey guys,
First time posting but wanted to contribute after this thread helped me out of this frustrating situation.
I personally went on ebay and bought a tested and guaranteed door actuator from a wrecker for $50.

Note: Before I started I disconnected the battery... Probably unnecessary but didn't want to risk it.

The door trim was easy enough to remove... 5 Phillips head screws around the perimeter, one Phillips head under the arm rest and a torx screw hidden behind a small plastic cover where the interior door latch is.

Carefully pop the trim along the bottom of the door (gently use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the lugs in the trim free) and pull door up and off.

The trim will be attached to the door by the two wire cables from the latch to the door actuator I recommend taking a photo of these connected to the latch and remove the trim out of the way because it's annoying.

Peel the plastic back near the actuator.

Unclip the plastic clip holding the rod to the actuator.

Take a photo of the two wire cables connected to the actuator and then remove by awkwardly pulling the wire out and around in an s shaped movement (the wire cable ends are shaped like an S)

Remove the 3 torx screws holding the actuator to the door and pull the actuator out so you can see it.

Remove the wiring loom by gently sliding a flat blade screwdriver between the red plastic clip and the black plastic body (see photo). The red clip will gradually slide upwards away from the body and the wiring loom will disconnect from the actuator.

Now twist the actuator around to get at the exterior door latch rod. This is awkward and takes a bit of fiddling to twist it off.

Remove the actuator from the car and replace with the new one. Follow the steps above in reverse to install.

I've attached photos of the key components to give you an idea.

Hope this helps someone.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
My right rear door cables have unclipped from the handle and the door is shut. Can't open from inside or out. Lock doesn't move with central locking etc.

How the F can I get it open again?